morel season 2011! :)

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

morel's like to grow around white pine, elm, silver maple, tulip tree, and i always find them near wild rose bushes.. i have pretty much found them growing in all different places. last week i found them growing in an old farm field. they also like to grow in old forgotten apple orchards.

false morels can be identified by the stem. a regular morel is hollow including the stem. a false morel will have a solid stem and cap, they usually come out b4 morels but can still be found during morel season.

I found a few morels last year growing on some stumps near my driveway. Those stumps have since been removed and I was sorta upset because I was looking forward to finding some more!

Where do you guys go morel hunting? I live near the delaware water gap and there are tons of trails but would I be able to find them if I just went out hiking in a more remote area?

Quote:
i would say just got out and spend 3 to 4 hours just walking through the woods staring at the ground. once you find one stop and just look around, they grow in patches. they seem to favor hillsides and the edge of fields where they meet the woods.

once you start finding some you will get a feel for their habitat, which in my experience seems to be just plain luck.. once you find a patch look forward to finding them there just about every year.. some times every two to seven years they take a year off and don't come up. last year i found nothin this year its been all out.

good luck on the hunt!!

Back
Top Bottom