Morning from he**

Quote:
We calve in February or March because we'd rather thaw out popsicles than have them drown in the mud. Besides, we raise registered Limousins and sell breeding stock so in order to sell them as yearlings for other people's calving seasons, we have to get them on the ground earlier. You are right though- they always seem to wait for a poor weather day. Maybe it has to do with the barometric pressure dropping. That's one theory I heard anyway.....

Sounds like you have a good plan that works. One plan never seems to work well for two different people. Last year we lost a few calves born in Feb/March, the weather here has changed and we seem to get ice storms/blizzards in early March. We are hoping that by moving the date we will avoid that. There is still alot of deep snow on the ground here and alot of locals have already started calving. Luckily we havnt had to get up in the middle of the night the last few years and check the heifers.

Some young guys wanted to get in the cattle business last year and bought 150 bred heifers (bad idea) and ended up pulling over 50 in Feb. That is just too hard on heifers

Yeah it seems like no matter how much you second guess it, Mother Nature will always throw a monkey wrench into it. It's important to have a plan that works for each individual operation.

150 heifers for new guys! WOW. Better to start with mature cows that know the ropes and have been proven and build up with replacement heifers you pick out of your own herd (IMO). I mean, a few heifers aren't bad but not near that many.

Quote:
Our bulls all throw pretty small calves, but when they're backwards like this one was it doesn't help a whole lot. If this one had come the way it was supposed to she wouldn't had any trouble with it.

I am sorry that you lost the calf. I would still be in tears.

I wasnt implying anything by my post, I was just commenting. I hope I didnt offend you or come off a "know it all" that was not my intention at all.

I hope the rest of your calving season goes well

Oh Katy how awful
hugs.gif
We had a first time heifer calf about two months ago, and the calf was HUGE. It must have pinched a nerve or something in the momma because she couldn't get up for a couple days. The vet gave her some shots, and amazingly she did get up again but we sure didn't think she would.

Quote:
No, I wasn't offended...just saying when they come backwards like that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you've got an easy calving bull or not.

I hope the rest of it goes ok too....this was the first time we've had to get the vet out for a calving problem for at least 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom