Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Standard Hen, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Standard Hen

    Standard Hen Songster

    May 17, 2007
    I have one small coop that has a dirt floor, this morning I noticed a hole and sure as sure can be there was a rat. There is no way this is going to happen. I have horses etc and everything is contained and never have had any such problem. This rat was eating the chicken pellets in the feeder on the ground. I can not hang them all in the coops as they are small.
    I need suggestions fast please. I will assume poison will be my answer but of course am scared of others getting into it.
  2. countrygirl4513

    countrygirl4513 Songster

    Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    We often have rats in the barn, not chicken house, and I found some rat killer cakes called "Tom Cat" at Walmart. We poke the cakes as far down in the rat hole as possible then cover the hole with something that the chicks can't scratch away... like a brick-o-blocks. I haven't had a problem yet. But of course it is poison so I don't know if you want to use that. Where is the hole located at? Would it be too dangerous for your chickies to use it?
  3. MayberrySaint

    MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

    Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Can you set a big rat trap somewhere inaccessible to the chickens (bait it with peanut butter)? I would be scared of using poison on the off chance that the rat dies somewhere the chickens can get to him and eats the poisoned tissue...or the rat drags the bait out of the hole and the chickens get into it.
  4. countrygirl4513

    countrygirl4513 Songster

    Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    The hole that you are seeing is part of a rat freeway. They burrow just like some other animals. We find 5 or 6 holes that they use in our barn and where there is one rat there is usually a whole rat family. It is hard to say just where their home base is. If you aren't comfortable with poison, and prefer the rat trap you only get one rat at a time but your chickies would be safer. Just make sure the chickies don't get nosey about the trap. I'd keep it secluded and section it off to where the chickies can't get to it. Good luck, rats are a nuisance!
  5. Standard Hen

    Standard Hen Songster

    May 17, 2007
    Well, all the coops open up into the pen and yes now I do see a few tunnels around that coop with the dirt floor, must be the rat freeway! I am afraid of both the poison and the traps, I have cats etc. I think my best bet is going to be to stick it down the tunnels and cover them. And I do know where you see one there are many. This is my first rat problem and when I saw him he was eating their pellets.
    Let's see=Chickens bring predators.
    Chickens bring rats.

    But I love them and just got 4 more today!!!!! Two month olds Americana mixes. Yes, I am nuts.[​IMG]
  6. thndrdancr

    thndrdancr Songster

    Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Be very careful that the cats and chickens dont eat them if the rats eat the poison and crawl out to die.

    That is always my worry with poison. I hate it, I suppose it sometimes may be necessary but I can never get my mice and rats to die where I want them. [​IMG]
  7. Wolfpacker

    Wolfpacker Songster

    Jul 7, 2007
    Get some chicken wire or hardware cloth and put it around the traps. Leave an opening just large enough for rats, but too small your chicks or cats.
  8. countrygirl4513

    countrygirl4513 Songster

    Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    You know I've never had a problem with my cats eating a poisoned mouse or rat. It's like they can tell from the smell or something. My cats prefer a fresh kill, that is after they have tortured the heck out of it and brought it to me as a gift.
  9. snugglepup

    snugglepup Songster

    Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:I have... that was $800 at the emergency vet... ugh!
  10. PurpleChicken

    PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

    Apr 6, 2007
    Try stuffing Bounce dryer sheets into the rat holes and then cover the hole.
    Rodents don't like these dryer sheets. Don't ask me why. I use them
    to keep mice, rats and chipmunks out of emergency generators. Moth balls
    around the perimeter may help too.

    If this is ineffective try using traps, either live or dead kill type.

    Poisons are horrible. Most don't last very long. They kill the animal
    slowly and painfully. If one of your pets don't get at the dead rat a wild
    animal may.

    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: