1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mosin-Nagant

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Q9, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

I now have one. [​IMG] It's technically my dad's, but he made it clear that for all practical purposes it belongs to me. It was just purchased today. It's a 91/30 that was built by the Soviets in 1928 and has never been fired until today. It was butt-ugly at first due to all the preservative goop, but I took it apart, cleaned it out, and polished it up, and it looks pretty darn good considering I've never taken a rifle apart like that before. [​IMG] Shot up some overgrown scallop squash with it - I am in love with this gun. I'm gonna use this to hunt deer this year.

Needless to say, I am one happy camper. It's so cool to have a piece of history. Anyone else have historical rifles?

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are pretty strong guns, snipers loved to use that gun

3. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Heard it's a real PITA to mount a scope on the thing, though. Still, ironsights should be fine for quite a distance. Fun stuff. [​IMG]

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah most older rifle's its hard to/ almost impossible to. But idk how the snipers did it. Lol have fun shooting. Im thinking about getting a .22 LR or a different varmit gun haha

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Want a brownie Q9? [​IMG]

Can I call ya fluffy?[​IMG]

6. Q9

Q9 General Headache

Em, I want you to picture a squash exploding.

Now, picture a face on that squash... *Evil laugh*

7. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:[​IMG] Umm...brownies? [​IMG]

Will brownies save me from such threats?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. OhioPete

OhioPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I have a few old M-N's and others myself. [​IMG]

Make sure you rinse out that barrel and action if your shooting old military surplus ammo, it's corrosive. I usually just spray windex down the barrel and on the bolt then clean as you usually would. You need to neutralize the salts or you will have a rusty tomato stake before too long...lol.

Now you need a few other Mosin Nagants...91/59, M38, M44.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    We had a Mosin, and it kicked like a mule. See about getting a slip on cushion for the butt of the rifle. it can really leave a bruise.

10. Q9

Q9 General Headache

The recoil from it doesn't bother me that much - then again, I'm also unfazed by the kick from 12-gauge slugs.

OhioPete - thanks for the tip. How do I know which rounds are corrosive? I just cleaned it normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by