Mosquito control

krystin07

Chirping
May 12, 2022
I live across from a state park so there's a lake & of course woods. Part of my Land also holds water with a lot of rain & my neighbors behind me is flooded when it rains. They also have a lot of trash and such laying around. It is MISERABLE to be outside. Mosquitoes eat me alive. My poor chickens have so many in their coop & one of my hens is broody. They free range so I don't want to spray anything but idk what to do at this point. Does anyone have an recommendations to rid the beasts (these things are massive) without getting rid or hurting other bugs that the chickens eat? (Also don't want to hurt pollinators)

Oh my goodness, I feel your pain. I was inundated this last winter, awful.

I purchased a dyna trapper from Amazon. It cost some $$ but works good and it is safe in the coop.
DynaTrap DT1050-TUNSR Mosquito & flying Insect Trap – Kills Mosquitoes, Flies, Wasps, Gnats, & Other Flying Insects – Protects up to 1/2 Acre https://a.co/d/4rJJBL1

IITo get the mosquitos #s down,
I also purchased 2 bug zappers

GOOTOP Bug Zapper Outdoor Electric, Mosquito Zapper, Fly Traps, Fly Zapper, Mosquito Killer, 3 Prong Plug, 90-130V, ABS Plastic Outer https://a.co/d/e6wTtZY

Fly sticky papar works AMAZING and are pretty affordable. Just make sure you hang it where mosquitos are- but chickens can't touch. No fun trying to unstuck a chicken. I have seen other forms of sticky paper that may work better.
This👇 is from one night. 3 strips were full, 2 others were plenty full enough. They also continue to stick the squitos and lasted about a week for me.
27560.jpeg
27559.jpeg

I also spray a homemade spray with vinegar and essential oils i found on YouTube. I can't find the recipe now, but when I do I will post it. It's mild, works ok. I spray feet and backends, roosts and corners of coop.

I also use a fan to blow Mosquitos out of the coop... I lit incense in corners (i have a very open coop)...

Mosquito Repellent Incense Sticks 50 Pieces per Box, Repellent for Patio/Natural Ingredients Citronella Oil/Lemongrass Oil/Made with Natural Based Essential - DEET Free - Mosquito Repellent Outdoor https://a.co/d/3EWPbGU

spray with EcoVet in the coop pre dusk.
And you just have to keep at it till things dry and breezes blow the darn little vampires away.

Oh! I also purchased Tough as Tom bait stations but those have not worked at all for me. Maybe wrong type of 🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟

Last edited:
I need to try this
This year they are so bad
Anytime of day too
My neighbours big pond pump abc filter broke last summer and he never cleaned it out or fixed it
Must be the perfect breeding ground
Can you toss some fish in his pond?

I (ALSO 🙄) started fish pots for mosquito control/help. I'm using guppies this time, they are adding to my arsenal and also enjoyable and pretty.
20230526_190148.jpg

The cheapo fly tape may give you great results too. Surprisingly very cool and effective 😎

Can you toss some fish in his pond?

I (ALSO 🙄) started fish pots for mosquito control/help. I'm using guppies this time, they are adding to my arsenal and also enjoyable and pretty.View attachment 3530164

The cheapo fly tape may give you great results too. Surprisingly very cool and effective 😎
The wild crane ate all his fish a few years back
This year he had 2 wild mallards come in his yard and the drake must have heard my girls and decided he needed to get some
I happened to catch the end of him on one of my girls then fly up over the fence and into their pond

I live across from a state park so there's a lake & of course woods. Part of my Land also holds water with a lot of rain & my neighbors behind me is flooded when it rains. They also have a lot of trash and such laying around. It is MISERABLE to be outside. Mosquitoes eat me alive. My poor chickens have so many in their coop & one of my hens is broody. They free range so I don't want to spray anything but idk what to do at this point. Does anyone have an recommendations to rid the beasts (these things are massive) without getting rid or hurting other bugs that the chickens eat? (Also don't want to hurt pollinators)
https://krusefeed.com/product/martins-horse-stable-insecticide-32-oz/

The wild crane ate all his fish a few years back
This year he had 2 wild mallards come in his yard and the drake must have heard my girls and decided he needed to get some
I happened to catch the end of him on one of my girls then fly up over the fence and into their pond
Maybe they can survive long enough to eat the larve and help break the cycle 👍

Maybe they can survive long enough to eat the larve and help break the cycle 👍
That would be nice
For about a month they have been coming and going from his yard
I only ever caught the drake in my yard once but he may have come more
Worst part is I have 3 drakes and not one of them stopped him yet they don’t like ti share their ladies with one another 😆
One of the schools I ket hatch is on day 25 today
We have no idea if any of the eggs will have wild mallard as dad
Should be interesting

That would be nice
For about a month they have been coming and going from his yard
I only ever caught the drake in my yard once but he may have come more
Worst part is I have 3 drakes and not one of them stopped him yet they don’t like ti share their ladies with one another 😆
One of the schools I ket hatch is on day 25 today
We have no idea if any of the eggs will have wild mallard as dad
Should be interesting
Sorry, was talking about the fish. I should have made myself more clear.

Back
Top Bottom