mosquito repellent for inside coop?

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I was just wondering if there were any safe mosquito repellents to used around chickens. I was thinking about hanging one of the thermacell mosquito repellents inside coop and in the run. We have a BIG mosquito problem here right now.

I've never heard of those, but they have good reviews on google! Give it a try and let me know if it works. I don't see how it could hurt the chickens, unless it caught something on fire.

I set out containers of water at night, and dump them out onto the hot ground the next day (and I make sure to change the chicken and bunny water bowls too). My reasoning is that it will encourage the mosquitoes to lay their eggs in a place where I can destroy them. There are still mosquitoes though.

Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. Personally, I wouldn't risk something like this inside the coop. I think your safest option is to simply screen the vents.

I don't like commercial repellants for me or the animals. You might make some 'orange oil spray' and use that in and around the coop. You can make it by filling a mason jar with orange peel and pulp then filling it with water, sealing it and letting it sit for about a week. Strain the liquid and mix it about 1 part orange oil liquid to 10 parts water. Don't use 'orange essential oil'; its too strong. Mosquitos and lots of other bad bugs hate citrus.

I guess I'm sort of lucky - my chickens catch mosquitos! I say "sort of" because I welt up BAD from a single bite, and those little flying monsters really like me.

I also keep mosquito fish in my goldfish ponds, fountains AND in the duck pool. (They breed so well in the goldfish ponds I can replace the ones the ducks eat whilst swimming in their pool.)

I'm worried about using any kind of chemicals.

In right there with ya (At least in state) and MAN... the things are BAD. My chickens I hope are catching some but there are still tons. Going to have to try the orange spray trick!!!

Back
Top Bottom