Mosquitoes and broody hen

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Two nights ago I was watching my broody hen on the hen cam and noticed a mosquito walking around her neck. I don't know if they itch if a mosquito bites them like we do but she is scratching her neck around quite a bit. Yesterday I used essential oils (lemongrass, citronella and lemon with water and log hrly sprayed the inside of the coop. I did not spray the nesting box mu broody was sitting in. While spraying a handful of mosquitoes came flying out.
I would love to spray with permethrin but have concerns with the broody. Should I or not spray and does anyone have any ideas on what I could do that's natural and won't affect my girl. Or do I just leave as is for now.

Permethrin won't harm the broody hen. You can even spray her around her neck and it won't harm her. It's a good idea to spray for mosquitoes since they spread chicken diseases which are far more serious than an itching bite.

Does permethrin work residually to deter mosquito's?
Not a bad idea to spray or dust a broody with permethrin for lice and mites,
they are susceptible while sitting especially if they don't have access to a dust bath.

From everything about I have read about permethrin states it repels mosquitoes.

Yesterday I sprayed the coop down. My broody hen was out so I covered her eggs and lightly sprayed her box. I haven't sprayed her but I'm hoping by spraying the box and coop it will help with those darn mosquitoes.

From everything about I have read about permethrin states it repels mosquitoes.

Yesterday I sprayed the coop down. My broody hen was out so I covered her eggs and lightly sprayed her box. I haven't sprayed her but I'm hoping by spraying the box and coop it will help with those darn mosquitoes.
Let us know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom