mosquitoes

fedexDan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Will chickens walk through a screen mesh that would keep out mosquitoes out of their coop at night??
sad.png

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but CAN they walk through it? I would assume they can't. They will probably EAT mosquitoes that come in their coop, so I wouldn't worry about them getting bites.

You can make a little flap in the pop door with screen if that's what you mean. They will learn to push it aside to come in and out. You might have to pin one flap back for a few days and let them get the feel for it. Then once they are use to the one side you can lower the other side and they should walk through it just fine.

Last edited:
wow. I did not know that bats eat that many mosquitos in an hour. I will have to put up our bat box soon. We currently have a bat or two that flies over our pond at night and he eats some of the lightening bugs toooo.

-Chickenman8

My chickens chase the mosquitoes that land on my dog, and my dog runs away from the chickens. It's very funny to watch! My dog knows he will get in trouble if he bothers the chickens, so he stays away from them. I think he thinks the chickens are trying to get him into trouble when they are tring to snack on the little insect predators that plague him so. It is hilarious to watch a little chicken chase a huge, frightened 65 pound pointer around the yard in pursuit of a miniscule mosquito on his bum! A good show!
clap.gif

Quote:
Bats are underrated. People are scared of them for little reason. I have some living around the farm buildings, and we have zero mosquitos as far as I can tell.

We can sit on the porch bug-free throughout the summer despite living next to a creek and a floodplain with wetlands. You don't want them in your house or in your attic, but a bat box is easy to make or buy.

Last edited:
thank you every one! I will try the half open mesh first! I didnt know that they would eat those mosquitoes!When i greet my ladies in the morning , mosquitoes try to see how much blood they can get out of me before I leave the coop!!

Back
Top Bottom