Mosquitos and flies

Quote:
Diatomaceous earth. Just dirt with microscopic fossilized aquatic creatures in it.

Quote:
Diatomaceous earth. Just dirt with microscopic fossilized aquatic creatures in it.

Thanks. I just inquired about DE at my local feed store and they don't carry it, unfortunately. They do carry a similar product for horses called "Buglite". Is it safe/unsafe to feed buglite to chickens?

I am not familiar with that product Buglite, so I can't really comment on it. Sorry. I specifically asked my local agricultural store to stock food grade DE and they did. Now, it gets sold out regularly.

Someone said their chickens have little odor. My entire coop area stinks to high heavens! The mud from all this rain smells so awful. It reminds me of the smell of a pig sty.(for real). I have tried lime and sweet PDZ. The inside of the coop does not smell the same as the run does.
My friend has the sisters to my hens, feeds the same feed and no stench. She does get more sun than I do in the run area. My soil is heavy with clay.

Any ideas? When the heat hits, my neighbors are not gonna be pleased!
rant.gif
somad.gif

lulus mom

Quote:
I use either AG or pelletized lime (NOT Hydrated), and pine shavings to kill odors and keep things dry.

Ag lime is mostly Calcium Carbonate, which is the same substance oyster shells are composed of.

I dont have a lot of faith in DE.
It's only PROVEN use is as an insecticide when it's kept DRY, and feeding it to chickens is simply a waste.

We use DE liberally and have no problem with either in our coops.
DE works best in a dry or low humidty environment.
Feed grade DE is non toxic.
All our coops are dirt floors.

Quote:
You've got a bat cave at your house! Man, i AM jealous!! I cant get our bats to come back..
hit.gif

so I thought I'd share- after out bat expierience the other night (and me wanting to rehome it AWAY from the coop door!) went back last night to tuck them in and...it wasnt a bat at all. Last night we found a male barn swallow persched on a nail about the door but he's behind the wood so until last night didnt see him clearly before we freaked...and we thought the poor lil guy was a bat- Sheesh!

Also, I thought of something else for fly control...
chickens!
lau.gif
mine are excellent fly catchers! They just dont do it often enough!

Back
Top Bottom