Most common chicken breed(s)?

Jdc361

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2015
I was just wondering what are the most common chicken breeds that would be sold at a feed store?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The most common feed store chicks seem to be Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Barred Rocks. Silver Laced Wyandottes, Sex Links, Easter Eggers, to name a few. :)

Enjoy which ever breed you pick and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Statistically speaking, Easter Eggers are the most commonly sold chickens in the US. Other very common breeds sold in feed stores are Rhode Island Reds (or Production Reds), Plymouth Rocks, Red and Black Sex Links, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Leghorns, Wyandottes, and Silkies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Are you planning to buy some chicks from a feed store? If so, what breeds are you looking to get?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Two Crows has given you a good list of breeds. You may also find White Leghorns, White Plymouth Rocks, and Cornish X meat birds.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Statistically speaking, Easter Eggers are the most commonly sold chickens in the US. Other very common breeds sold in feed stores are Rhode Island Reds (or Production Reds), Plymouth Rocks, Red and Black Sex Links, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Leghorns, Wyandottes, and Silkies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Are you planning to buy some chicks from a feed store? If so, what breeds are you looking to get?
x2. In our area the EE's are the most common. Our Red and Black Sex Links lay bigger eggs than our Barred Rock and are smaller birds. But for temperament the Barred Rocks are great.

If you have feed stores in the area , you could call and ask what breeds they expect to get in and when. Also some have a 6 chick minimum to discourage people from buying them as temporary pets, ie, easter chicks.

x2. In our area the EE's are the most common. Our Red and Black Sex Links lay bigger eggs than our Barred Rock and are smaller birds. But for temperament the Barred Rocks are great.

I love the sex links. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I actually prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier than my Reds (maybe it's due to their Barred Rock mothers) :eek:), and have been slightly better layers in really cold winter weather. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom