Most expensive breed of chicken?

bridget118

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
I was wondering is there a particular breed or color mutation that is more expensive than the rest? I'm thinking of raising high end chickens but I have no idea where to start. What do you think?

Swedish flower hens, svart hona, ayam cermani, certain colors of orpington, and lots of other breeds if you have the money and are willing to import from countries such as Australia, Great Britain, etc.

Last edited:
Any breed can be expensive. A show I was at last year was selling single adult light Brahma hens and cocks for $150-200USD. The gentleman even sold out of them! Everywhere else here, you can get full grown Brahmas for $5-20USD. Developing a show winning line will get you good money, especially if it is a popular breed/variety. Another idea to think about is, if you live in the right area, you could sell high end meats or eggs. Somewhere I was reading that someone was paying $9USD for a dozen of blue and green eggs every week. Or raising heritage meat (or even Silky/Silkie meat) can also be higher end.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is an enormous difference between high end and expensive chicks, when discussing on-line chicken sales. The most expensive chickens you can find on the internet are a bunch of rubbish. They are marketed to newbies who buy a silly song and dance and who then walk away in search of another newbie willing to believe the malarkey. APA/ABA breeders tend neither to mess with these mutts nor engage those selling or buying them.

If the Brahmas mentioned above were being sold at the Ohio National, then i know that breeder, and he is one of the best breeders and poultry judges in the country.

High end poultry is standard-bred stock from recognized breeders. Sometimes it is very expensive, sometimes not, but it is the quality that is the measure of the bird.

Unfortunately, there is an enormous difference between high end and expensive chicks, when discussing on-line chicken sales. The most expensive chickens you can find on the internet are a bunch of rubbish. They are marketed to newbies who buy a silly song and dance and who then walk away in search of another newbie willing to believe the malarkey. APA/ABA breeders tend neither to mess with these mutts nor engage those selling or buying them.

If the Brahmas mentioned above were being sold at the Ohio National, then i know that breeder, and he is one of the best breeders and poultry judges in the country.

High end poultry is standard-bred stock from recognized breeders. Sometimes it is very expensive, sometimes not, but it is the quality that is the measure of the bird.
This brahma breeder was at a local show in Lima, OH. I ended up getting a chick that was sold to a family that did not take good care of the chick (I ended up getting it and it was a bag of bones and was soaked in rabbit urine). The family had claimed that it was from that particular breeder and I have been at a loss trying to find who it actually is. I just remember seeing his chickens and their enormous price tags.
However, you did raise a good point. You referred to his line as being one of the "best". It proves that certain lines are more sought after and more higher end. They are not common to get and not the average person can afford them. No one that I know does business online so I wasn't even thinking about online being a sale option.

However, if you are into raising very high end animals (as in the rare or hard to find), look into getting a small herd of ocellated turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom