Most expensive chicken contest — CLOSED

dancesWchickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Davis, CA
Ok so today I spent an excruciating amount of money on a vet visit for my hen and am really curious whether anyone else has spent a lot on a chicken.

So post your story, the amount you spent on your chicken, and a photo (of you and/or your chicken). Winning categories will be top dollar amount, best story, and most worthwhile expenditure. Chicken stories only please!

...and hopefully I'm not the only one who's crazy enough to spend a fortune on a chicken. :-/

Last edited:
Chicken stories only please!

How bout a duck story!
big_smile.png

We drove 280 miles (round trip) and paid $30 for two loud call ducks, and listened to them all the way home.
smile.png

Last edited:
I paid over $300 to have a vet come to my farm to diagnose a wild turkey with coccidiosis.
ep.gif
Let's just say the entire vet visit was an extravaganza..catching a turkey for mouth and fecal swabs and bloodwork was not fun. But I'm sure the vet laughed all the way to the bank.
gig.gif

Ok here goes...

Bought a pair of cochins...cost me $45 for the pair....a month later, the hen died and had to be replaced (long story...they were told to remain together at all times, but the people at the fair separated them and the hen died...so in fear that the roo would grieve himself to death, I HAD to get another hen)

Bought the hen mate...$50 for her $50 to have her shipped....

Several months later, the roo falls ill....spent $85 on the vet (roo dies 10 minutes later). Gas to the vet cost me $20.

With the kids upcoming fair...I need another roo so both kids will have equal amounts of birds....gotta be fair...

Find a roo, but will only sell with the hen...pair cost $100. Gas to pick up the birds, $20.

All total as of now, $370.....happy kids with happy birds at a fair: PRICELESS!

Some of you might remember this but I paid over $600 in vet bills for my beloved Sandy. Her whole story from start to finish is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=110315
It
ended up being about $650 vet bill because they had her on oxygen, fluids, they were tube feeding her,plus the blood tests, and Xrays. I can't even look at the story without crying. Here she is:
16241_img_0117.jpg

Her on the right:
16241_img_0114.jpg

Rest in Peace my baby Sandy.

Aw, Attack Chicken what a sad story! I'm so sorry it didn't turn out well.

Here's my entry. My 5-month old Ameraucana has been gaping and not eating; no gapeworm that I can see and her crop is empty. Finally took her to the vet; turns out she has sour crop - the main symptom of which is a full crop. She's been burping up the gas, so that's why her crop isn't distended. Vet bill: $184.70 + $10 gas = $194.70.

This is my chicken (before she got sick, with a full crop):

simone3.jpg

Hmmm if you count my coop which was $1,700 and divide that by 17 chickens $100 dollars a chicken plus $10 dollars in supplies for each hen (feeders, waterers etc..) + $12 dollars in feed for each hen + original purchase price between $2.50 and $10 thats

$100
$10
$12
$5

Each hen in my flock comes to about $127 each !!!

Then that times 17 !!!

My flock of hens = about $3,059
tongue.png

I get a really great price for my eggs and had at least 5 dozen a week all spring and summer so 5 months x 4 weeks = 20 weeks x 5 = 100 dozen eggs X $6 a dozen
big_smile.png
(yes $6 a dozen) so thats $600 dollars.

None of my hens are laying right now so that leaves me about $2,459 in the pits
lol.png
they are worth every penny!

This is a very ruff calculation and its kind of a joke but not really chickens are a dang expensive hobby this also does not take into account loosing 3 hens to predators over the last year.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom