Most friendly chicken breeds

I'm sure Mendellian genetics apply. It becomes easier when a friendly one from a line of 20 friendly ones is bred to the same. I have birds that will walk away from food to come see me.

I have 5 PBRs (not the beer) one Australorp and an English Blue Orp hen. I have had other Australorps and Buff Orps.

The PBRs are by far the most friendly in general. One Buff Orp was also a lover.

I had several very aggressive English Blue Orps. Got rid of all of them.

The current EBO and Australorp are very friendly but don't want to be touched.

Of the many breeds I have had, the Speckled Sussex stand out as being naturally friendly and inquisitive from the time they are chicks. Some of them have been among my favorite birds, even without any extra handling.

I have the same experience with my Speckled Sussex. She came from a home not well handled, and has been the friendliest hen of the bunch beside my Delaware.

I've had very social friendly Speckled Sussex hens, and roosters of the same genetics either naughty or nice. Half bad boys, half respectful; a very individual story. Breeds and families do differ, and then training will develop behaviors that you want, again depending on what the individual bird can do. Bantam Brahmas and bantam Cochins have been nice too. Mary

I think Brahmas are excessively friendly.
love.gif

I had some Lohmann Browns. They were so friendly used to follow me around and sit on my lap :). They were also brilliant layers!

We have two Austerlorps, a chick, Shabana, and a hen, Dolly, who is just a DOLL! Shabana is sweet and friendly, and doesn't mind being picked up as much as the other chicks. Dolly is exactly the same, but because she's a hen, I can do more things with her. Sometimes when we're watching a movie I'll bring her inside and she'll snuggle down in my lap. (Her favorite movie is probably I Love Lucy! LOL!) I also dress her up in doll clothes, read to her, (since I can't sing) and when I sit outside and watch her, she'll come over and peck crumbs off my clothes. She also lays gorgeous large brown eggs, which is a bonus! So obviously, Austerlorps are my favorite breed. Friendly, and good layers! Strongly reccomend them!

And this goes for any breed of chickens-

The more time you spend with them when they're chicks, the friendlier they'll be grown up.

Back
Top Bottom