Most humane way to kill 8 year old hen

I agree with threehorses and allmypeeps.
Yes, treat the mites in the whole yard. And anywhere the chicken goes. If she is doing fine..........let her live her life as a spoiled baby!!!
When it ever does get to that point......take your baby (yes older chicken) to the vet and have her put to sleep. But chances are that she will live another few years and die of natural causes.

Thats how I want to go....old and peacefully in my sleep!

cool.png

OMG!!!
lol.png
LOL that is how my grandfather will probably go- he is 87 and shouldnt be driving but he refuses to stop- you cant get him out from behind the steering wheel....we all gasp and cover our eyes and pray whenever we ride with him!!!

...its really not funny...he has been in several near accidents!!!!
hmm.png

I know this thread is old, but, seeing how it developed, I have 2 comments:
1. No judgement please, people. I went to this thread because I need to know how to humanely kill a very sick chicken. Not every creature is able to die a peaceful natural death. I withdrew life support from my terminally ill and suffering mother. Humanely.
2. The problem with letting one'e 87 year-old father drive is not the injury he may do himself, it is the people in the other cars that might be killed because of the irresponsibility of this man's family. If he can take and pass a driver's test, fine. But otherwise, man up and take his keys away.

Thanks, JoeBryant, for the ether suggestion. I will do that today.

Deb in Western PA

Yes, do something that will end it quickly for her. I find it hard to believe that plastic bags, freezing, gassing in a cooler, etc are painless.
If you feel too unsteady or unsure of yourself with an axe, then perhaps lie her head on something real hard and hit her in the head with a hammer held sideways? Breaking the neck is instant also, just not sure how to do it. Sorry you are going through this.

Stretching the neck and snapping it at the base of the skull. That is how The Chicken Health Handbook suggests do it, quite quick and painless. I get my DH to do it as it takes strength. Another way is to use a killing cone and very gently slit the jugular vein, allowing the chicken to bleed out. This is completely painless and the bird never gets anxious, the way we kill to avoid stress hormones in the meaties. They just close their eyes and go to sleep. I understand not being able to cut the head off a friend, that is always hard. The cull meanies, I have no problem with. Good luck.

Quote:
Glad i caught up and read this post... if she can run for treats, then she will be OK for a while yet!! Good deal, let her live and monitor her.

I'm sure it would kill you to see your bird suffocate for however long in a plastic bag gasping for air. You would feel terrible. I had a very sick hen once, I just laid her on her side and chopped her head off with a hatchet. I hated the thought of having to do it, but afterwards I felt better, because it was so quick and she wasn't suffering anymore.

best of luck with your old gal.

Quote:
A few years back I think it was Jay Leno featured the 'oldest living chicken' at age 14 and she was looking good!

Back
Top Bottom