most humane way to slaughter?

Yes they don't feel a thing but yet they will suffer from lack of h20 and remember they are still alive when they are slit.
And when the neck is broken they are dead that is it not suffering. because like i said nothing can be alive when head is detached to neck even if nerves are still connected it is not alive anymore.

When you say "it takes eight minutes for the goose to die (stop moving)" it isn't entirely true. Yes, it may take the bird 8 minutes to stop moving, but the bird will have died much sooner. What you are seeing when the bird flops around is the nerves in action. The bird is dead when that happens. I don't mean to argue I am just clarifying what you said for anyone who may be reading this and isn't positive.

Just out of interest how do professional slaughter houses kill chickens?

I know someone who just kills his cream legbar cockerels with a baseball bat
As they are going for snake food

They break the chickens necks using a stand that has a hole in the stand and the have a leaver that you press down fast and it breaks the neck no blood involved.

Hahaha that friend of yours is not well if he beats roosters with a bat!

No the sliting takes a lot longer for the bird to stop moving and die whereas breaking the neck they don't open beak or blink their eyes and make no noise while you slit the throat they do all them and nothing is still alive when head and neck are detached so sliting the throat is a lot more cruel.
But everyone has their own opinion on this so arguments are worthless.
;)

Why are you arguing for your opinion if arguments are truly worthless? :confused:. Seriously, if you think it is cruel, you should not do it. Please remember, though, that none of us feels what the animal feels, so everything we are throwing out there is really our projection....what we think we would feel. I personally would prefer to just go on living rather than be killed in any of these ways, but I'm not going to let my chickens have that choice! :rolleyes:

I am making sure people are not going to kill animals(geese) the cruel way so there is one small bit to argue about.And i stopped killing them the cruel way years ago and that is why we are having this conversation

And i like your point there about we don't know how the animal feels and it is a project.
You are right but you can still see if a animal is suffering or not.

They break the chickens necks using a stand that has a hole in the stand and the have a leaver that you press down fast and it breaks the neck no blood involved.

Hahaha that friend of yours is not well if he beats roosters with a bat!

They are only day old chicks
I nearly passed out when he told me, I wanted to bring them all home with me
That's the problem with auto sexing

And when the neck is broken they are dead that is it not suffering. because like i said nothing can be alive when head is detached to neck even if nerves are still connected it is not alive anymore.
Again, this is simply not true. You can argue what is cruel all you want, when they're suffering, etc, but you can't change simple biology and physiology.

The head is still alive (and the brain is still processing information) until the brain dies of oxygen deprivation. You could pump oxygenated blood through the head and it would stay alive pretty much indefinitely . Whether or not the head is attached to the body has no relevance. This is a matter of simple biology and anatomy. It's not a philosophical question. Death is always judged by lack of brain activity.

The animals die quickly enough that either method is humane.

Last edited:
We have a family friend who is a Veterinarian I consulted him when we did our first batch. He told me to slit just below the jaw line on each side of the neck. This will cut the carotid artery. With a razor or equivalent this will give the bird a stinging sensation not intense pain but a strong sting. The bird will began to bleed out and after about 30 seconds will pass out. Soon after it passes out it will die from the blood loss. We have been using this method and it seems to work well, We do use cones which keeps the birds still, also being upside down disorientates them and seems to help in them staying still. I have witnessed professional slaughters and let me tell you it's hard to believe what those birds are put thru. That isn't always humane in my opinion.

Hope that helps

We all have our opinions and we all have our techniques for what we prefer. So whatever suits a person to kill a animal is their choice for what seems best :)

Again, this is simply not true. You can argue what is cruel all you want, when they're suffering, etc,  but you can't change simple biology and physiology. 

The head is still alive (and the brain is still processing information) until the brain dies of oxygen deprivation. You could pump oxygenated blood through the head and it would stay alive pretty much indefinitely . Whether or not the head is attached to the body has no relevance. This is a matter of simple biology and anatomy. It's not a philosophical question. Death is always judged by lack of brain activity.

The animals die quickly enough that either method is humane. 

And what about when a axe is involved and what the head is completely detached skin nerves neck etc.

Back
Top Bottom