most humane way to slaughter?

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I hear that slitting the throat is the humane way, but then they slowly die, isn't it more humane to just cut their head off and instantly kill them?

In my opinion, the most humane way is the way you can. You need to be sure. If you can’t keep your eyes open and not flinch doing it a certain way then you can’t be sure, which can lead to injury to yourself or injury, not death, to the chicken.

There is no “best” way that is best for every human being on this planet. We are all different. The way that is best for you might be slitting their throat, chopping their head off with an ax or hatchet, using the broomstick method, using pruning loppers maybe with a killing cone, or some other method. What can you do and be sure? That’s the best way for you.

Agreed...as quickly as possible. I can't say for sure, but I do believe that slitting their throat with a very sharp knife is humane and pretty painless, but again, I stress very sharp knife, and no hesitation on the part of the one doing the killing.

Messier but I prefer a hatchet and a stump. To me bleeding out just sounds like suffering time. Head off = dead before they know they were injured. Downside is a chicken bouncing around without a head can be a bit disturbing to watch, especially when they try to fly.

Messier but I prefer a hatchet and a stump. To me bleeding out just sounds like suffering time. Head off = dead before they know they were injured. Downside is a chicken bouncing around without a head can be a bit disturbing to watch, especially when they try to fly.

We used to kill with an ax and a stump. Put two nails in it to hook the head. Hold legs with left hand streching the neck slightly, ax in right hand and hit once and fast. I always thought the severed head looked surprised and a bit confused instead of in pain.

I prefer slitting the throat. It sounds horrible, but I truly believe it's a painless way to go. Once while I was slitting the throat of a BBW turkey, I sliced my finger badly. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches it was so deep, but I didn't even feel a thing and I didn't notice the cut until a couple minutes after I culled the bird.

from all of this i think i will go with the stump method. chicken will be dead instantly, and its simple and easy. plus i have a good little axe and a whole bunch of stumps around.

thanks everyone :) baguck!

I hear that slitting the throat is the humane way, but then they slowly die, isn't it more humane to just cut their head off and instantly kill them?

I don't think they really die any faster cutting the head off than slitting the throat. Either way they die when the brain is starved of oxygen, and that's going to happen very quickly either way with no blood flow.

I don't think they really die any faster cutting the head off than slitting the throat. Either way they die when the brain is starved of oxygen, and that's going to happen very quickly either way with no blood flow.

You are correct that death rapidly follows lack of blood flow/oxygen to the brain. But if the throat is slit improperly there will still be some blood reaching the brain for a period of time. It may only be less than a minute but if the head is severed you know for sure no blood is flowing to the brain. But you also need to make sure you get the head cut clean off in one good whack.
Whoever said the method you can use with confidence is correct. Either method bungled is not humane.

Sliting the throat when they are still ALIVE! obviously they suffer if the throat is slit and still ALIVE!
The axe thing is easier and faster but broomstick method is what i do.
The neck breaks so they die straight away and no blood involved.
It takes about 8 minutes for the goose to die (stop moving) while it takes 4-3 with the broomstick method.(metal cylinder pole for me)

Back
Top Bottom