Most Pretty Poultry Contest!!

Pics
20171111_080350_Richtone(HDR).jpg

:hit How can I only choose two?! They are all beautiful!

Ok, here goes:
@Orpingtons43 - Spike (he's gorgeous)
@007Sean - I dare not show our daughter as she LOVES yellow and would have to have one!
I could send you some but importing them would be a nightmare.

I could send you some but importing them would be a nightmare.

We don't have many pheasant species here but that is one I could get (bet they wouldn't be half as gorgeous as your beauties though). No chance of getting any birds past the border here (and rightly so with all our endangered birds to protect), but it doesn't stop me window shopping and wishing.

We don't have many pheasant species here but that is one I could get (bet they wouldn't be half as gorgeous as your beauties though). No chance of getting any birds past the border here (and rightly so with all our endangered birds to protect), but it doesn't stop me window shopping and wishing.
Thanks for the compliments. Yep, you won't find many Yellows with the rich depth of color as mine, most are a washed out yellow with a pale orange mantle (cape). Also, the nape feathers are a dark green, most have a washed out green/brownish color.
I hatched out 1 male like the one in the pic (his great great great grand daddy) and bred him back to unrelated hens. I now have 5 breeding pairs of these dark colored birds.

:love What are their care requirements?
A large enclosure, preferably planted with lots of pheasant furniture, ie; smooth rocks, stumps, limbs, grasses, shrubs, small trees and perches/roosts. My pens are 6' wide x 6' high x 30' long. In some of the pens I run pairs others may contain 6 birds.
I feed mine 24% protein crumbles as the main feed source, to which I add essential vitamins and minerals. I have it made for me at a local mill. They also get red winter wheat, milo, parched barley, cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds and of course, clear, clean water. The pens have a 12' deep and 8' high sheltered part, so if they choose to get out of the weather, they can...most of the time they don't. Pheasants are pretty hardy. They don't do well in small or habitually wet enclosures. I don't worry about the cold here but the heat and humidity are brutal. I worm my birds twice a year. Here's a few more pics.
100_4571.JPG

Pic taken at the start of hurricane Harvey
20160123_162345.jpg

View before landscaping
100_4851.JPG

View from inside of pen
100_3767.JPG

View of vegetation, Mr. Elliot is molting
100_5062.JPG

Pens in snow

Last edited:
A large enclosure, preferably planted with lots of pheasant furniture, ie; smooth rocks, stumps, limbs, grasses, shrubs, small trees and perches/roosts. My pens are 6' wide x 6' high x 30' long. In some of the pens I run pairs others may contain 6 birds.
I feed mine 24% protein crumbles as the main feed source, to which I add essential vitamins and minerals. I have it made for me at a local mill. They also get red winter wheat, milo, parched barley, cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds and of course, clear, clean water. The pens have a 12' deep and 8' high sheltered part, so if they choose to get out of the weather, they can...most of the time they don't. Pheasants are pretty hardy. They don't do well in small or habitually wet enclosures. I don't worry about the cold here but the heat and humidity are brutal. I worm my birds twice a year. Here's a few more pics.
View attachment 1228354
Pic taken at the start of hurricane Harvey
View attachment 1228356
View before landscaping
View attachment 1228357
View from inside of pen
View attachment 1228360
View of vegetation, Mr. Elliot is molting
View attachment 1228363
Pens in snow
Really nice setup. :clap

I get temperatures of about -40 every year and sometimes weeks below 0F. Do you think they would require heat in those temperatures? Any reason why they could not free range?

Back
Top Bottom