most profitable chickens

megaram

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
looking for a new hobby that is relaxing and maybe make a little money on the side. Had a lot of anilmals growing up. Mostly small type animals. At one time we had so many animals my forth grade class came to our house for a field trip. Then I grew up and had a family and went to work, lol. Well, I am now at the point in life I want to relax a little and enjoy some of the things I had when I was a kid. Like chickens around the house and maybe a goat or two. Anyway looking for some advice on which chickens to raise, small amount, maybe a dozen or so to start with. Which ones are the most profitable and fun?

Philip

most profitable - not mine
lau.gif
gig.gif
Do it for fun and the memories.

I am doing this for the fun, but figured if there was any money to be made, what the heck.

you know, us new eggs get cracked on a lot, LOL. but I can take it.

Most chicks and eggs don't sell for very much, unless you're on the cutting edge of a new variety (I'm thinking about the Lavender Orps here....
bow.gif
) With most chickens, the cost of the coop, run, bedding, feed, grit, possible meds, incubator, etc will be hard to overcome.

That being said...chickens are awesome pets that make you breakfast, and sometimes dinner.
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I don't know about profit. I kinda rate there value in what they do for me. They make me happy, I like to look at them, I enjoy caring for them (helps maintain my sanity). Thats some of what they give me along with the little protein packed gift you get on regular basis. So really making money off them is really the question. Just figuring my time at min.wage you can never really make a profit. Selling my surplus eggs does help pay for there food. Also I give eggs as gifts. Every one is always happy to get them. Relaxing-just fooling around with my animals in the day is very relaxing. Thats how they pay you back. Profits aren't always rated by the dollar. Just some of my thoughs.
celebrate.gif

For eggs, I think leghorns and sexlinks are the most efficient layers. Leghorns arent that great as far as the fun goes, the sexlinks I hear are very friendly.

If you are wanting to breed them, to sell hatchign eggs or chicks, that is a totally different thing. You will either need to have good farm birds that people want to buy, such as rhode island reds or barred rocks, or show quality birds. WHich to pick probably depends on where you live. You could sell show birds here, but some places you cant sell farm-type birds very well.

I wouldnt try raising meat birds, unless you know what you are getting into. You have to have quite a big operation to really make money on them, and they are stinky, big and eat a LOT.

Any of the dual purpose birds are pretty good layers and you can eat the extra roosters, if that is something you are interested in. otherwise, buy pullets.

the profit is not my primary desire, just thought there might be a possibility. Oh well, I'll just raise them for the fun of it. So give me some pointers. I would like to start out with some good layers (about 6 or so). My wife has never really been around chickens, so I want to get something for her to make a pet out of, (maybe a silkie bantam or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom