most profitable chickens

Silkies aren't good layers as they go broody almost constantly.

Standard Cochins would be a good one. They lay fairly well but also go broody at times (not as reliable as a silkie though...).

I guess you could start with

finding the chicken for your climate!
How many eggs do you want for your self?
do you want a few extra to give as presents?
do you want nice mix of colors?
do you want to sell eggs? (for eating or hatching)

here is a chart that might help (they give the amount they will lay after there pullet year (first year when they lay more)

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

HI
The dark egg layers like the Marans, Barnrvelders and Welsummers I have seen sale at a high price. The darker the eggs they lay the higher the price.

Clayton Grace

HIGH QUALITY SILKIES. THEY LAY LOTS OD EGGS AND ARE VERY DOCILE. IF YOU GET GOOD BREEDING STOCK AND PRODUCE GOOD BIRDS THEY HAVE GOOD POTENTIAL TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS.

Oh, I think she would love a silkie.
love.gif
Mine don't tend to lay a lot of eggs before going broody, but they are the greatest little fluffy "friends."
smile.png

I found my Red Star if the most dependable for eggs...there are lots of breeds though....It's so hard to choose!!

My White Rock is very curious and she lays very well, too.

Have fun choosing!
smile.png

Quote:
Try going to some hatchery websites and show your wife the different breeds. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/bantam_mille_fleur.html does a little write up on each breed - order the magazine, it goes into a little more detail. Also, they have customer feed back on each breed and many have comments from people concerning their thoughts on the appearance and/or personality of the breed they ordered. I'm sure other hatchery websites do something similar. I'm not plugging for you to buy from any of them - but they do offer some info on breeds that you and your wife may find helpful.

I just try and break even with egg layers, it is hard. but we get free eggs for my family But the most profit I have seen was WAY back in high school we in the FFA bought hens ready to slaughter & butcherd them then sold the birds. That was a great way to make school money

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom