Mostly Done & Birds Are In - And Happy! (many pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Jun 21, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    This is pretty much the finished product. Many ideas from these forums and questions answered by members.
    Thank you!
    Still need to finish off putting up fencing in the high reaches of the run roof area.
    Also need to fence off around the base of the coop so that the birds can have access to that space as well. Run is currently 6'x9'.
    I plan on creating an escape door at the back base of the coop so as to allow access back and forth when they begin to free range.
    Other than that, I still need to create or get a bigger feeder for both in and out. I'm thinking of building a PVC feeder for the run.
    Using a small rabbit feeder right now, works well now but won't for long - they eat a lot!
    Also intend on making a 5 gallon waterer with nipples. The plastic jug you see in the pix has one nipple in it. They caught on quickly.
    I have to say, nipples waterers are the only way to go. Fresh waterer, all the time. Very cool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

That is awesome! I am impressed with how it looks and blends in with the surroundings. You did an awesome job, those are guaranteed to be some happy chickies. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with SoS...I love how it fits into your greenery! You've got a gorgeous set-up there! [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Very nice, beautiful setting.

Imp

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Completely gorgeous [​IMG]
    I cracked up at the little stepstool to the feeder

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Love it [​IMG] what's the bottle for in the 5th pic ? Yeah stair way to heaven... I mean FOOD.

7. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:That's a 1 gallon plastic jug with a Nipple in the bottom for water. I showed each of them by putting their beaks up to it... left them alone... when i came back later they were all drinking from it.
    I plan on making a 5 gallon waterer with 2-3 nipples in it, this was my test.

8. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    awesome! we have a covered run like this and love it!

i wouldn't bother with an outside feeder/waterer. just leave the door open, they'll come back in if they are hungry. plus, less furry rodents will steal the feed! always a good thing i find, less rodents....

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    How pretty, and what a gorgeous location. You could almost camp in it it's so nice!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Very nice! The first picture looks like they're in the forest by themselves. So pretty.

Are you planning on covering the area by the roof (on the sides) with hardware cloth? Just my thoughts of an easy way for predators to get in. (and from the looks of the area, you have some predators there)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by