Moth balls = no snakes???

myth or not it works I've burnt the first ones Ive killed n don't see any for a few years after that and the moth balls work I've used them for years. shootin them works too lol
not a snake fan

Out of all the above methods, the ONLY effective(but unnecessary) method is shooting them. As a reptile keeper, I have heard all of the supposed methods for keeping snakes away, and they have all been thoroughly debunked by scientific professionals and hobbyists. They are a waste of time and money. Control your rodent population, and don't leave junk lying around and you will see the best results.

Folks, the burning is a myth. The snakes can't smell ANYTHING to tell them there is a burning snake nearby. Their sensory systems don't even work that way. That is a pointless myth, and you are just wasting a harmless life. Moth balls do nothing for snakes for the same reason as I stated above. Forget all of those methods. Just keep your property cleaned up, and rodent population under control. That is ALL you can do to reduce snake numbers. I have kept snakes for 20 years, I am absolutely not just pulling your leg on this.

Also, that is NOT a Cottonmouth pictured above. That is a harmless NON venomous Texas Banded Water Snake. Please familiarize yourselves with local species.

Sparrow is DEAD ON! If you want to get rid of snakes, your thinking is actually in REVERSE! Snakes will ALWAYS hang out where there is adequate food supply. The harmless Texas Banded Water Snake should be left alone. They often come out after rains. We have 3-4 species alone in Florida. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do about snakes. In fact, snakes are not a problem at all, they are usually a solution to a problem you already have. People have very strong EMOTIONS about snakes and rarely take into account the facts surrounding the situation. There is no such thing as a snake problem. Snakes go eat where there is available food. I've got a beautiful yellow rat snake I've found in the coop 5 times, he is a welcome partner in mice/rat control. He now lets me hold him. The beautiful black racer that shot out of the coop yesterday was a welcome addition. The Pine Woods snakes I found under a feeder in the coop are earthworm eaters, and great for the environment.

I'm a science teacher and 20+ year snake keeper. I just keep chickens now, but love snakes. The real issue is education. The folklore being repeated about snakes is just not true. Mothballs, burning bodies, or diatomaceous earth will not repel snakes. Either accept them lovingly or cut off their food supply, which is almost impossible.

The benefits snakes provide in ridding your home/farm/area from harmful pests far outweigh any damage they may cause to you or your flock. Poisonous snakes, however................when life is on the line, they have to go!

Steve

funny that it works like a charm then.. perhaps yall need a snake site..... the only ID a snake gets round here is Dead!

^^I don't understand why people are so proud of possessing no knowledge about snakes. That seems to be a phenomenon that only applies to these creatures. :/

Steve you are so right! And I would DIE of happiness if I could find a Pine snake around my place. Used to find big Bullsnakes(Pituophis are all awesome) around here a lot, but as the area has become more settled, they have become scarce. :( The safest and best methods of dealing with venomous snakes are by getting a proper snake hook or snake grabbers and moving them that way. Especially when you're dealing with wriggly Rattlesnakes( I keep them, I should know lol), a good pair of snake grabbers is a wonderfully useful and safe tool to have around.

^^I don't understand why people are so proud of possessing no knowledge about snakes. That seems to be a phenomenon that only applies to these creatures. :/

Steve you are so right! And I would DIE of happiness if I could find a Pine snake around my place. Used to find big Bullsnakes(Pituophis are all awesome) around here a lot, but as the area has become more settled, they have become scarce. :( The safest and best methods of dealing with venomous snakes are by getting a proper snake hook or snake grabbers and moving them that way. Especially when you're dealing with wriggly Rattlesnakes( I keep them, I should know lol), a good pair of snake grabbers is a wonderfully useful and safe tool to have around.

Sparrow,

I know, snakes are my favorites, but even if you look in Genesis in the Bible (and if you're not into that, I'm cool!), when God curses the serpent, it says (paraphrase) "I will cause enmity between you and the woman"....which basically means she will naturally fear snakes...

Plus, the 'no-legs' thing freaks people out. I can't tell you the amount of times (the locals come running to me about snakes, including today!) someone brought me a dead 'moccasin' and it was a poor legless lizard!!!!

The Pine WOODS snake is actually very small, I've NEVER seen a pine snake (frowny face) ever.....

I've caught several rattlesnakes, they are easy, but those dang cottonmouths are evil- big stick and carry them far, far away (they gladly wrap around and hiss at me!).

My neighbor came to the door today "You have a HUGE snake in front of your house!".....I ran out saying "COOOOL!!!!!!" with the kids. It was the 3' yellow rat snake again (6th time). Led him to his favorite tree and he climbed right up. Pics didn't turn out.....

Found a perfect rattler a few weeks ago, went to pick it up and it's throat was slit....hate that! (with the proper stick, of course).

Love snakes, and all creatures, but have no problem eating them either!

Got my first egg today!!!!!

Sparrow,

I know, snakes are my favorites, but even if you look in Genesis in the Bible (and if you're not into that, I'm cool!), when God curses the serpent, it says (paraphrase) "I will cause enmity between you and the woman"....which basically means she will naturally fear snakes...

Plus, the 'no-legs' thing freaks people out. I can't tell you the amount of times (the locals come running to me about snakes, including today!) someone brought me a dead 'moccasin' and it was a poor legless lizard!!!!

The Pine WOODS snake is actually very small, I've NEVER seen a pine snake (frowny face) ever.....

I've caught several rattlesnakes, they are easy, but those dang cottonmouths are evil- big stick and carry them far, far away (they gladly wrap around and hiss at me!).

My neighbor came to the door today "You have a HUGE snake in front of your house!".....I ran out saying "COOOOL!!!!!!" with the kids. It was the 3' yellow rat snake again (6th time). Led him to his favorite tree and he climbed right up. Pics didn't turn out.....

Found a perfect rattler a few weeks ago, went to pick it up and it's throat was slit....hate that! (with the proper stick, of course).

Love snakes, and all creatures, but have no problem eating them either!

Got my first egg today!!!!!
Ohhh Pine WOODS snake.....that's what I get for reading before fully awake. lol We are nocturnal around here. Wouldn't mind at all finding one of those either, but not happening around here. xD I typically find lots of Prairie Kings and Black Rats around here, not even mentioning how many Garters. Cottonmouths are total buttheads. Rattlesnakes generally try to bolt away fast, but the Cottonmouth we had for a while was just a jerk. Loved him, though, he was beautiful. Copperheads tend to be pretty easy to deal with, too, ours was a little snappy but not too bad. Lost her to cancer, unfortunately. I do love everything Crotalus most, though. One juvenile I have is one of the stealthy, non-rattling ones that you hear about being found more often these days, but he was captive bred, so it's kind of an interesting thing.

It's funny how people are freaked out about snakes having no legs. Neither do fish...or seals......

Ohhh Pine WOODS snake.....that's what I get for reading before fully awake. lol We are nocturnal around here. Wouldn't mind at all finding one of those either, but not happening around here. xD I typically find lots of Prairie Kings and Black Rats around here, not even mentioning how many Garters. Cottonmouths are total buttheads. Rattlesnakes generally try to bolt away fast, but the Cottonmouth we had for a while was just a jerk. Loved him, though, he was beautiful. Copperheads tend to be pretty easy to deal with, too, ours was a little snappy but not too bad. Lost her to cancer, unfortunately. I do love everything Crotalus most, though. One juvenile I have is one of the stealthy, non-rattling ones that you hear about being found more often these days, but he was captive bred, so it's kind of an interesting thing.

It's funny how people are freaked out about snakes having no legs. Neither do fish...or seals......

So where are you? In Florida, we have a WIDE variety of species, but sadly most are rarely seen. In PA or NJ as a kid, I could just throw a few boards in a field, come back in 2 days, and get fistfulls or garters, ringnecks, milks, red bellies....etc.....where in FL they underbrush is just so thick that you rarely see any. Found a nice corn once, scarlet snake, scarlet king, lots of yellow rats, few rattlers, mostly pygmies, cottonmouths, but never anything really cool. Black racers, but they are gone as soon as you see them- you ever catch an adult? Never seen anything so fast.

I used to raise ball pythons at the crest of the morph wave, and made pretty good money for a while. Now I won't keep any for a while. They certainly aren't pests.

Speaking of pests.....I had some mites come in on some adult Australorps I purchased....did the Sevin dust thing tonight, hope they will be ok...

So where are you? In Florida, we have a WIDE variety of species, but sadly most are rarely seen. In PA or NJ as a kid, I could just throw a few boards in a field, come back in 2 days, and get fistfulls or garters, ringnecks, milks, red bellies....etc.....where in FL they underbrush is just so thick that you rarely see any. Found a nice corn once, scarlet snake, scarlet king, lots of yellow rats, few rattlers, mostly pygmies, cottonmouths, but never anything really cool. Black racers, but they are gone as soon as you see them- you ever catch an adult? Never seen anything so fast.

I used to raise ball pythons at the crest of the morph wave, and made pretty good money for a while. Now I won't keep any for a while. They certainly aren't pests.

Speaking of pests.....I had some mites come in on some adult Australorps I purchased....did the Sevin dust thing tonight, hope they will be ok...
So, Ya ll really don't think what I had on my porch was a cotton mouth.. His mouth was white and I know that because when I opened my door he struck at me... I'm just curious. He was about three houses down today chillin on someone Else's back porch! I ask again because my husband swears hes a cottonmouth because,and I'm trying to convince him otherwise :/ That's a lot for all the info y'all have provided

So, Ya ll really don't think what I had on my porch was a cotton mouth.. His mouth was white and I know that because when I opened my door he struck at me... I'm just curious. He was about three houses down today chillin on someone Else's back porch! I ask again because my husband swears hes a cottonmouth because,and I'm trying to convince him otherwise :/ That's a lot for all the info y'all have provided

Have had more banded water snakes brought to me dead than I care to see again. You really don't need to ask someone again, just look up a photo on google to compare!! You'll see the differences right away.

Back
Top Bottom