Moth or Caterpillar phobia - anyone else have this?

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I know it's irrational, but that is my one and only, intense phobia in life - moths and caterpillars. I really about have a breakdown when I see one, which makes my passion for gardening a bit difficult!

From the general phobias thread, I saw a few posts by people with a moth phobia... anyone else? moth-fearers, unite!

Not I. I love moths, especially luna moths. I hate tent caterpillars though.
hide.gif

I'll take hating tent caterpillars
smile.png

welcome to the club!

I actually just experienced them for the first time this year at my new house here in the Pacific NW. Being a caterpillar fearer extraordinaire, I already knew how to spot them on the trees, though, and I stayed WELL away. ::::shudder:::

If I ever have to clip them down from a tree I will DIE.
sickbyc.gif
One of the most traumatic experiences I ever had was going to a murky lake (which I despise) after a long hot car ride and the tent caterpillars were EVERYWHERE. *shudder*

I hate butterflies. I think they are trying to lull you into a false sense of security with their pretty colours. While you are standing there ooohing and aaahing they're gonna try and GET YOU!!! Ugh, hate them.
hide.gif

Yes, YES!! Highlander, you understand perfectly! Did you know that butterflies are just diurnal moths? OH yes, at first there were only moths, and then a few figured out that they could be out in the daytime and not compete with the other moths if they grew pretty colors. They're all the same! I have to admit, I can tolerate looking at butterflies, but I still don't want them on me.

Highlander - is it just butterflies for you or moths too?

Horsefeathers -

I can't imagine going to on a trip like that and finding so many! Do you know if gypsy moth caterpillars are the same thing as tent caterpillars or are they different?

I see you're in Maine (I have been following your story about Fatima and the other girls and I'm really enjoying it!)... I went to college in upstate new york, so I saw the gypsy moth caterpillar nests in the trees and I think maybe they're the same thing...

I don't mind moths as much but not ecstatic about them. But you kind of know where you are with a moth. Butterflies are sneaky.

awww, i'm sorry. i love moths and caterpillars and butterflies. i love to catch the little moths and hold them. i had a butterfly land on my shoulder once, it was SOOOO cool!! i just kept totally still and it stayed there for a few seconds slowly flapping its wings, just chillin.

I wish I loved them, I do. I really, honestly do. And I don't want them all to die because they are so important to the ecosystem (pollinators, food sources, etc)... and I would love to somehow get over my phobia and love them, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.

I love moths, I have moonflowers germinating right now to intice the night pollinators. We have something that is just brown tones that comes at night that my DH argued up and down with me was a hummingbird . . .but it LOVED the moonflowers that only bloom at night. I love butterflies, want to plant lots and lots of butterfly plants for them to swoop around . . .I like about all bugs, except wasps, if they are considered a bug, but hate the catepillars, their sticky little feet give me the creeps.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom