Mother duck drowning duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Nov 4, 2011.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    So this morning I went to give my ducks fresh food and water. I found of of my ducks ducklings dead in a bucket of water, it appears that it got water logged and drowned. What I dont under stand is how this duckling managed to get into the bucket. This was a two week old muscovy, still very small. The top of the bucket was about 14 inches from the ground. I know they can jump, but I am finding this hard to beleive. The only other thing that I cant think of is the mother picked it up and put it in the bucket, which is also hard to beleive. Has anyone heard of this happening? I got rid of the bucket and went to get a automatic waterer for them.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have also had scovie ducklings drown in just a little water. It was a kitty pool with just a few inches of water. The must have jumped in (I was also pretty surprised, these were 2 day old ducklings and the pool was also 12-14 inches) and got exhausted and drowned. I would assume that the same happened to yours. Remember scovies are a perching bird and have the ability to jump quite a bit, even the babies. I really doubt it was the mother duck.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm thinking the same, that it jumped up there and in and got water logged. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Muscovies are EXCELLENT mothers...I wish all ppl. Were that good of parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by