Mother duck trying to kill her hatching babies?

k90n90w

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2021
I have a first time mother duck with 9 pipping ducklings. I caught her pecking at an egg that I assume she stepped on and cracked it all up but the membrane wasn't punctured. While I was sitting there another baby broke through the egg a good bit and she pecked at it a couple of times. My question is.. is this normal or do I need to take the babies away from her? She stepped on and cracked open another egg yesterday and I left it alone only to find it far outside of the nest. I brought it inside and helped it hatch the rest of the way last night but sadly it didn't make it.

I can only go by an experience I had with a Muscovy female she killed one duckling in the egg while it was hatching and tried to kill another after hatch, I was able to save him. I'm not sure if this is the same as what happend here I did remove the duckling I saved. Sometimes they can get over zealous in helping with hatch but I can't say for sure this is what your seeing. I guess watch and wait and if she continues to remove any while hatching or attackes you need to step in.
Sorry you lost the one duckling:(

So I think the mother duck was actually trying to kill the babies so I removed the one that was partially hatched that I ended up helping out the rest of the way and the eggs. The one that hatched is doing great and the rest of the eggs are in an incubator my husband ran out and got. First time incubating eggs so fingers crossed they make it. I can hear peeping and some eggs moving so we'll see. Only thing is I'm going out of town and have to leave my sister to handle it all 🤦‍♀️ thanks for the help y'all 😁 picture is before putting them in the incubator.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_113347_01.jpg
    IMG_20210715_113347_01.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 13
All 9 babies hatched and are doing great. One of them needed an emergency rescue and had splayed legs but we splinted them and it's getting around just fine. Big sister did a great job taking care of everyone while I was out of town sure wish I could send her home with a few of these guys.

Attachments

• 20210719_003908.jpg
    20210719_003908.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom