Mother has been pecking at her chicks for no reason? Help!

Verlara8376

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
I’ve recently posted a thread where one of my chicks that was born in June had a wound on her head after being pecked at. She is getting me better now, but We weren’t sure who did it. After observing them for a bit, I noticed that the mother of the chicks was pecking at the other chicks a bit aggressively in their back, almost like they are in her way and bothering her. I don’t understand why she is behaving like this, when just a week ago she was caring for them like normal. The chicks want to be with their mom, but the mom doesn’t want to be with them I guess? I’ve also noticed that the mom has stopped making her “mother noises” and has began to make some other noises I haven’t heard from her before since she was born last year. Is there anything that I can do to help the chicks ease back from wanting to be with their mom all the time? Or why the mom is acting like this?

Or why the mom is acting like this?
The mom is acting like this because she feels they have been taught all she needs to teach and she's ready to get back to her own life and make more babies!

Some hens do it early, others late. All are individuals. It's natural and the chicks will adjust quickly if there's space for them in your set up.

One theory I have about why this happens would be maybe to prevent excessive inbreeding in nature.. because yes a son will indeed try to mate his dame.

Yeah, she raised a brood full term! :celebrate

It is normal for them to do this when they think the chicks are ready to be on their own. The chicks will learn to leave her alone soon. Mine usually start following the roosters around at this point; not sure if that's normal, but they're happy to show them where all the good food is:confused: :lol:

Ok, I thought that might be the reason, wasn’t completely sure though because I wouldn’t have expected her to make one of the chicks bleed. But I guess it’s normal then. Thank you!
If you leave the mother hen confined with the chicks she might even harm them severely. So better let her rejoin the adults flock and keep the chicks by themselves.
I’ve had the chicks and the mom together out with the flock, but I think I will separate the chicks for a day or two so that they can get used to being without the mom. Thanks!

I’ve had the chicks and the mom together out with the flock, but I think I will separate the chicks for a day or two so that they can get used to being without the mom. Thanks!
They're already integrated.. don't separate. This is how it goes every year at my place.. it hasn't ever been an issue, yet.

She is probably taken clues from the chicks by how often they frequent her to warm up and stuff..

Some of my broody's still let them snuggle up a few nights on roost.. are they already going up there with her?

They're already integrated.. don't separate. This is how it goes every year at my place.. it hasn't ever been an issue, yet.

She is probably taken clues from the chicks by how often they frequent her to warm up and stuff..

Some of my broody's still let them snuggle up a few nights on roost.. are they already going up there with her?
Yes they are

Back
Top Bottom