Mother hen poking chick

Surbhi

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
We had all three of our hens go broody at the same time on 3 eggs, and just a few hours ago one started hatching... the hen that was sitting on the egg started poking the chick so we took the hen out and let another hen sit on this chick (which is now doing well) but why was the other hen poking the chick? Is it safe to let this hen with the chick?

I'm not sure what you mean by "poking" the chick.

Was she aggressively pecking it? Mothers will remind babes to stay under them to dry off. As long as that is very gentle, all is well.

However, some hens remain in hatching mode and will strike anything that attacks their hatching eggs...including a newly hatched chick...if their wires get crossed....especially if there is another hen nearby. That kind of aggression is NOT okay.

So without actually witnessing the incident, my instinct tells me this particular mother may not be happy brooding chicks. Some are good incubators but poor mothers. The only way to know is let her have a chick and see how she handles it while carefully keeping watch.

Good luck with your new brood.
LofMc

I'm not sure what you mean by "poking" the chick.

Was she aggressively pecking it? Mothers will remind babes to stay under them to dry off. As long as that is very gentle, all is well.

However, some hens remain in hatching mode and will strike anything that attacks their hatching eggs...including a newly hatched chick...if their wires get crossed....especially if there is another hen nearby. That kind of aggression is NOT okay.

So without actually witnessing the incident, my instinct tells me this particular mother may not be happy brooding chicks. Some are good incubators but poor mothers. The only way to know is let her have a chick and see how she handles it while carefully keeping watch.

Good luck with your new brood.
LofMc
thank you! i wouldn't say she was poking it aggressively, I think I just panicked. We put her back in everything seems to be fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom