mother hen taken out

pawskat

Hatching
Jun 27, 2022
Mom hatched in coop - chicks have been with her from beginning; as they grew - now about 3-4 weeks - they were all about & around the other hens/ rooster.
All was good

Today, mom was taken out by a fox; my question is - how do I care for the chicks? I know there is a pecking order - but they are still small. Should I remove them until larger? Should I just watch?

Would appreciate guidance. Thank you

The biggest concern that I would have for this batch is temperature management - how well are they feathered and hows the temperature over there?

As for pecking order, if they've already been around the big ones, I would just keep them in there. Re-integrating them is going to be far more stressful than the occasional peck on the head that they are likely getting currently.

Mom hatched in coop - chicks have been with her from beginning; as they grew - now about 3-4 weeks - they were all about & around the other hens/ rooster.
All was good

Today, mom was taken out by a fox; my question is - how do I care for the chicks? I know there is a pecking order - but they are still small. Should I remove them until larger? Should I just watch?

Would appreciate guidance. Thank you
About 3 4 weeks?
Do they have a full set of feathers?
If they grew up with the rest of your chickens do you believe the rooster has imprinted them?
If you can answer yes to both the above then leave them with the rest. It's a bit early at three weeks, better at four.
I've had plenty of mums finish chick care at 4 to 5 weeks and from then on they fend for themsleves apart from one important factor and that is the rooster has imprinted them they should get some protection from him from any bullies.

Should I remove them until larger? Should I just watch?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Some of my hens boot their babes at that age. What are your overnight temps?

I would watch before adding mo work and drama to my plate since the chicks are already integrated they have learned to avoid the bullies pretty well by now usually.

:fl

I'm soooooo sorry to hear this. I wish you the best. I don't have any experience is hens with chicks but have done some integration with different ages. See but not touch brooder if there isn't another hen to raise them.

They are well feathered and weather has been warm ; that being said, they slept with mom until now
Yup, it's a tough break for them. They do have each other though. They will probably sleep in a huddle for a while.
You can't do much more that is going to help them except watch and cross your fingers.

It might be worth setting up a cardboard box in the coop for them to sleep under. If the doorway is small enough, this will double as a warm sleeping area and a hiding spot from the big birds.

Other than that, just wait and watch. These birds are pretty tough overall and I'm betting they will do fine in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom