Mother Hen With Lice

GrassClump

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
So one of my hens got broody a few weeks back and I decided to go ahead and let her sit on an egg.

To my surprise, the egg actually survived development and pipped yesterday morning.

The chick made a bigger hole a few hours ago but stopped making anymore progress so I removed a bit of the shell to see if I could tell if it was maybe shrink wrapped or not.
1000009316.jpg

1000009317.jpg

But that's not what this post is about anymore, oh no no no...

You see, when I removed more of the shell, low and behold there was a single lice on it. I removed the lice from the chick, checked the mom, and sure enough she had lice eggs on her.

My question is, should I put the egg back underneath her? or keep it away from her?

So one of my hens got broody a few weeks back and I decided to go ahead and let her sit on an egg.

To my surprise, the egg actually survived development and pipped yesterday morning.

The chick made a bigger hole a few hours ago but stopped making anymore progress so I removed a bit of the shell to see if I could tell if it was maybe shrink wrapped or not.View attachment 3626645

View attachment 3626644

But that's not what this post is about anymore, oh no no no...

You see, when I removed more of the shell, low and behold there was a single lice on it. I removed the lice from the chick, checked the mom, and sure enough she had lice eggs on her.

My question is, should I put the egg back underneath her? or keep it away from her?
I'd help this little guy out of the egg, if it pipped yesterday morning, there's a problem.

As for the lice, I would wait until her eggs hatch and then begin treatment on all of them, coop and nest box.

I'd help this little guy out of the egg, if it pipped yesterday morning, there's a problem.

As for the lice, I would wait until her eggs hatch and then begin treatment on all of them, coop and nest box.
ty

I will peel more shell off and see if I can help him. 😎👍

ty

I will peel more shell off and see if I can help him. 😎👍

So I let him sit awhile while I cleaned the coop. I came back to it and still nothing changed so I went ahead and picked some more shell off.

Eventually though I hit some blood so I think he still needs time.

So update (part 2)

Let the chick sit overnight, still no progress. It was a chirpin' so I said screw it, I'll peel more shell.

Peeled and peeled and it never bled so I took that as it was read to get out.

I cracked all the shell off and peeled the membrane off it and now he's doing okay.

HOWEVER, he got some curl toe going on and we're currently working on making him some boots to keep em' spread.

Back
Top Bottom