Mother w one 6 day old chick, wants out of the isolation chamber

I have a hen who hatched one chick (long story) and it's 6 days old. I put up a fence for them when I found the baby and they have 1/2 of my 8'x8' coop to themselves with their nest box all to themselves w food and water. The problem seems to be Mom wants out. She is taking great care of the chick, but she seems anxious to be on the move back to the flock.

I don't have any kind of anything in the coop run for them and even if I did there's no way to get them access to the coop at night. Ideas?

Let em out. Mom wants to be part of the flock and she should be. I only put my new moms and chicks separate for about that long (6 days) to make sure the pair bonded and make sure the chick is eating. Then I let them out to be with the rest of the flock. Mom and baby will make a place on the ground to sleep until chick is able to roost. Mom will teach chick everything he/she needs to know. The other chickens may peck the mom at first when coming back to the flock, but probably won't even notice the chick. Mom will protect chick if they do! Best to integrate now!

chick and mom in flock june.jpg

What is the reason that you are not letting her with the flock? Is the space too small that she will not be able to protect her little one? Usually the mother will protect her baby and as long as there is enough space in the run there should not be a problem. You can let her out and watch what happens
My coop run is HUGE, we call it a Pterodactyl cage it's so big.

And all of our hens get along great and are pretty easy going all things considered.

I have a hen who hatched one chick (long story) and it's 6 days old. I put up a fence for them when I found the baby and they have 1/2 of my 8'x8' coop to themselves with their nest box all to themselves w food and water. The problem seems to be Mom wants out. She is taking great care of the chick, but she seems anxious to be on the move back to the flock.

I don't have any kind of anything in the coop run for them and even if I did there's no way to get them access to the coop at night. Ideas?
What is the reason that you are not letting her with the flock? Is the space too small that she will not be able to protect her little one? Usually the mother will protect her baby and as long as there is enough space in the run there should not be a problem. You can let her out and watch what happens

If you do put the baby chick out with the other ones make sure that you put all the chickens on chick starter and put out oyster shell or eggshell because the baby cannot have layer feed, it will ruin its kidneys.

My coop run is HUGE, we call it a Pterodactyl cage it's so big.

And all of our hens get along great and are pretty easy going all things considered.
That’s great! It should work out fine! I never separate mine not even on the first day. The brooder hens usually take over a nesting box because I have all my nesting boxes on the ground.

I tried putting them out w the collective and I was way too worried. Everyone was very curious and they were mobbing the mom and baby. So I went with the integration cage setup. The cat carrier is full of nice straw like bedding like in their original nest. I hope they will load themselves into that when it gets dark and I can just close it and put them in the coop with everyone else. And then back here in the morning.

Attachments

• 0706211523a.jpg
    0706211523a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom