Motherly or curious?

imogene08

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Florida
I have a little EE who's about 7/8 months old and she is just fascinated with eggs. Every time I come out to collect eggs she's always behind me watching me and then will hop into the nest to Investigate. I laid down a clutch of eggs mixed with hers and some others. And she hopped up turned them and say down. But wouldn't stay on them. Is she a confused broody or just curious?

Sounds like she is just curious. At that age my pullets would crowd around if an egg was on the ground, taking turns to try and "mother" (sit) on the eggs. They won't be dedicated to the eggs, maybe sit on them for a few minutes then get up and leave. If she was truly broody, she would stay on the eggs for more than a week. Some hens will growl/hiss at you if you get near them. Here's an example of my Buff Orpington being "grumpy" while broody(she has a few eggs brooding under her):

Last edited:
lol.png
great picture!!
Thanks! A lot people say the same thing whenever I post it as an example.
gig.gif

Okay thank you! I do have a hen though who is hopefully sitting on some eggs. I just put two under her. She's been sitting on them for about 3 days. Hope she won't abandon them.

Back
Top Bottom