Mottled egg shells

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
eggs.jpg
I have not been here for a while but what to hatch some replacement chickens. I gathered eggs and candled them and they all seem to be mottled. I am surprised they are because I thought that meant they are thin but they are not really easy to break when I fix something to eat. I had a hard time inserting the picture. It has been too long and things have changed. LOL Anyway, will they hatch ok? These are the only eggs I have. I am collecting until I get at least 30 because of the roo factor. Any suggestions?
These are the eggs
egg2.jpg

egg1.jpg

The hens and roo are both fairly old. 5 years maybe. I was thinking about that. But is it possible to still get some to hatch?

The hens and roo are both fairly old. 5 years maybe. I was thinking about that. But is it possible to still get some to hatch?
It is a bit less likely because rooster fertility goes down. The best way to tell is to incubate them!

Happy Hatching!

Well, I guess I will try then. They seem to be all fertile when I open them. There are only 9 hens for the roo. Thanks

I found someone on craigslist that is close to me that will let me have some of her very colorful eggs for $3.00 a doz. she just sells the eggs to eat but doesn't put them in the frig. and wont wash these. I can pick the colors. So much fun. I will still do mine with hers.
coloee.jpg

Me too and I used to have them alot like that. But have slowly gotten down to the colors you see in the first picture. I want more colors!

The eggs are porous. They are fine to incubate.

This happens with some hens--Something to do with the egg shell gland
I sell my eggs for eating and I find a lot of them like this. I feed them back to the birds, do you think these would be okay to still sell? I don't because not sure how safe for eating.

Back
Top Bottom