Mottled Houdan chick walking issues

ellie32526

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Texas
My mottled houdan chick walks (or should I say stumbles) like drunken person. It only takes a few steps and then stops to rest. It does this again and again. Hatched May 29. I have pine wood shavings on the floor. None of the other chick do this. I am going to try letting it walk around in a plastic tub lined with paper towels to see if it is caused by the shavings. Anyone else notice this with houdan chicks?

My mottled houdan chick walks (or should I say stumbles) like drunken person. It only takes a few steps and then stops to rest. It does this again and again. Hatched May 29. I have pine wood shavings on the floor. None of the other chick do this. I am going to try letting it walk around in a plastic tub lined with paper towels to see if it is caused by the shavings. Anyone else notice this with houdan chicks?
I was watching her just now and she seems to have problems bringing her toes forward. She takes every other step with her toes pointed backward. Is this common in houdans because they have the extra toe?

Sorry to hear you’re having a problem with your Houdans.I have not had any problems with my 2 8week old Houdan chicks . Has the chick always walk this way ?could she have been injured. ?My Wyandotte chick suddenly started favoring one leg and dragging her foot. She must’ve injured it as within the week she was walking fine. I’ve had other breeds with five toes and no problems. I hope she gets better, they are such a wonderful breed. Hopefully some of the experts on this site can advise you .They’ve been a huge help to me in the past.

Back
Top Bottom