Mottled houdan question

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone know how and when to sex a mottled houdan? I had three houdan chicks (2 pullets and 1 roo)and I lost two of them. So now I have one little houdan chick left and I'm wondering which it is. I know it's too soon to tell right now(only 5 days old), when do they feather out enough to tell? Or should I watch it's comb, or is there some other way to sex them? I've never been able to figure out how to tell the difference with little ones, I usually just wait and see, but since this is the only one I'll have of this one(until I can find more) I'd like to know as soon as I can. Thanks!!!

Wow! I had no idea it would take that much time! Do houdans feather out slower than other breeds? I don't suppose you could tell me what's going to give it away when it does get there? The shape of the crest? Or am I going to have to wait for a crow or an egg?

you maybe able to tell sooner based on comb development but not the only thing I go by. at 13 weeks of age chickens start to get their "sex" feathers (saddle and hackle development) on cockerels these will be long slender and pointed both saddles and hackles while on pullets they just blend in with the rest of the body feathers (they are fat rounded and short)

Hey thanks a bunch! Your article is great! The pictures are good too, I can actually see what your describing in them! I sure do appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom