Mottled Orpingtons w/PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RoRoinGA, Oct 10, 2010.

1. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    During my Lavender Project I hatched many chicks out, and selected few for my project. Two of which now are a Roo and Hen both having the same coloring. These birds are mottled orpingtons and are beautiful. Here are some pics, whick really dont do them justice but I wanted to show yall. She has started laying and I am so excited bout hatching some of their eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you referring the barred birds in the pictures or did you post the wrong pics? Those don't appear mottled, but barred. Very pretty though.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, thanks so much for posting your pictures! I hatched several of these, but never did keep them long enough to know how they turned out. They look wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    kathy, the mottleds from my project don't look anything like that at maturity. They are solid black with white tips on their feathers.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:That's what I was wondering about. The last ones I hatched I did keep for a couple months, and they were actually looking very mottled .... like black and white speckles. A friend of mine has them, and I want to go out see how they turn out.

6. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    I can assure you these were hatched from my Lavender Roo whick came from Hinksjc and a black orpington. I thought they looked different at first so I kept them.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    the mottleds from my project don't look anything like that

That's because the birds pictured here aren't Mottled, they're Barred. They don't look much like Orpingtons either.​

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Mottled would look more like this -

(not my bird)
    [​IMG]

Yours look just like bad barring somewhat like hatchery Marans. Are you using a Barred Rooster?

There nice looking birds but there not Mottled..

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Can you post pictures of the parents?
    Like NYREDS there not even Orpington type..

Chris

10. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    I'm confused! I have a Lav mottle and it doesn't look like this either. Looks like a Barred !![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by