Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Can someone tell me what birds are crossed to get the mottled orpingtons? I love the look of them and want to try/start a project of breeding them but have not been able to find anything at all that says what crosses make that color. Any and all help and information is greatly appreciated. Also on the mottled lavenders.
Mottling(mo) is a recessive autosomal gene(recessive means it needs two copies of the gene to be expressed, autosomal means its not a sex linked gene) the fastest way for you to get mottled orps is obtaining Mottled Orps, the hardest way is to introduce the mottling gene from a another mottled breed that has similar sized... for example mottled javas..

say you get your hand on a mottled java, you will need to cross it to a black orp or bue orp or lavender Orp if you want lavender mottled Orps... you do the crossing, all of the first chicks will look all Black because mottling is recessive, you select 2 of the best roos and 2 of the best looking hens(when I say best is the ones that look more like orps than javas) out of this crossing you will be able to get some mottled birds and some that are not mottled, cull the ones that are not mottled, at this stage you will have mottled birds that are closer in looks and type to Orps than the first generation cross...

Can someone tell me what birds are crossed to get the mottled orpingtons? I love the look of them and want to try/start a project of breeding them but have not been able to find anything at all that says what crosses make that color. Any and all help and information is greatly appreciated. Also on the mottled lavenders.

I had a couple pop up in my Lavender Orpingtons. I also had a black that hatched from one of my lavenders (from an English roo) that was slightly mottled as a chick. I retained my few mottled birds and will be breeding them when they start to lay. PM me if you are interested, I can probably help you to get some eggs or possibly chicks when mine start laying and I start hatching.

Thank you for all the information.....TBJumper0514. I am still trying to figure all this out LOL I am new to the forum still. If you could send me an email letting me know when you have eggs or chicks I would appreciate it. My email is [email protected]. Thanks agin to both of you who answered. I am still learning alot when it comes to chickens and feel like I cant get enough of them LOL.

Thank you for all the information.....TBJumper0514. I am still trying to figure all this out LOL I am new to the forum still. If you could send me an email letting me know when you have eggs or chicks I would appreciate it. My email is [email protected]. Thanks agin to both of you who answered. I am still learning alot when it comes to chickens and feel like I cant get enough of them LOL.
You're welcome! I will be sending you an email shortly, so I can have your email on file for when my birds start laying.

I hope someone can help me figure out what kind of chicken my lil hen is---she is about 2 and 1/2 months old and was yellow and black as a chick, but now she has both whole black feathers and whole white feathers....any suggestions?
thanks,
stormy

I hope someone can help me figure out what kind of chicken my lil hen is---she is about 2 and 1/2 months old and was yellow and black as a chick, but now she has both whole black feathers and whole white feathers....any suggestions?
thanks,
stormy

He is definitely Mottled, but he has a yellow beak and I'm guessing he probably has yellow legs too? Which indicates yellow skin.

So he isn't an Orpington, they have white skin.

My guess is due to his type he is a Java, where did you get him from?

If not a Java then he is most likely an Ancona but he looks too big to be an Ancona, they have a more Leghorn-like shape..

Last edited:
actually it is a girl...she came to me from a co-worker whose 4 year old daughter got her as a party favor at a birthday party. I would love for her to be a Java as they are supposed to be rare...as far as I know she came from the local feed store. How can I tell if she is a Java or an Ancona? Anyone know?

wow, so apparently Ancona's are rare too...so, I am thinking of breeding her with my rooster who, from what I can tell is a buff rock....
maybe when she's a couple of years old..right now she is only 2 and a 1/2 months old, and two of my other chickens(on my avatar) and my rooster are about 7 months old. I guess no matter which she is, I have a chance for cool looking babies? Thanks for your help, Jeremy :)

She looks very similar to my pullet. Mine is around 5 months, and was told she is out of a blue orp and a buff orp. Any suggestions on what I can cross her with to improve the mottling?

I am on a few waiting lists for mottled orps and I hope to get them this year! I am super excited and ready to get them! I also have a few partridge orps on the way as well! I love the mottled and spangled gene! I have a few O Shamo that carry the mottled gene as well! Love the colors. I only know of 2 breeders in the US that have Mottled Orps. Does anyone else have any? Have a good night.

Nate.

Back
Top Bottom