1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    There seems to be some newfound interest in this relatively rare color of Orpington (in the United States), I figured I would start this thread in hopes of creating a place where breeders could come together and discuss the genetics behind this variety and their projects, share pictures of their birds, etc.

[​IMG]

I currently have a flock of pure Imported English Blue, Black and Splash Orpingtons. I plan on adding the Mottled variety sometime next year (hopefully) and I personally will be breeding towards the British SOP, eventually working with Black and Blue Mottled Orps. I also was considering a Chocolate Mottled project as well. [​IMG]

Let's discuss! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ive never seen that before.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:The variety is almost nonexistent in the US, there are a few breeders working on Mottled projects though.

Mottled Orps are called Spangled in the UK and there is a small, dedicated following to the birds there.

This is a great website for Spangled and Jubilee Orpingtons, http://www.jubileeorpingtons.co.uk/

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh really. So there a really new Color. Thanks for the website.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:No problem. [​IMG]

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Jeremy,

You know my "friend" has been working on both varieties for a couple of years too.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Not really new here,as we've been working on them for years. I love the mottled appearance. [​IMG]

8. tay_boe

tay_boe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    I'm so glad I found this. I'm putting together my pen of projects hopefully they will start laying soon. Will anyone be selling any hatching eggs?

9. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:I'd love to see pictures of your progress! [​IMG]

10. matte

matte Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    BrushyCreekHome.com
    Quote:Jody, do you have any pictures of adult mottled lavenders? I looked at the links your husband gave me and did a search, but I couldn't find any full grown mottled lavenders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by