Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics

"Spencer" Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons
100% Spangle/Mottle produces offspring's do not pass the Jubilee gene,
he is a direct son of
Cooper, who also doesn't pass on the Jubilee gene. Spencer is exceptionally gentle and kind which is typical of the English Orpington family. He walks among family members and has loving care towards his mates. Orpingtons in general are creatures of habit, They spend their days following in groups to socialize and to bring family bounds that bring them closer to each other, All members share food with one another to strengthen the family bonds. There is a simple set pattern in deciding who sleeps the closets to the main rooster and matriarch hen, Older hens and Daughters share a close relation to there young daughters and share a close warm embrace. Family bound is tightly close. It helps with raising young and bring valuable food for the younger generation. This family bond is passed down for many generations.

Last edited:

"Spencer" Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons
100% Spangle/Mottle produces offspring's do not pass the Jubilee gene,
he is a direct son of
Cooper, who also doesn't pass on the Jubilee gene. Spencer is exceptionally gentle and kind which is typical of the English Orrington family. He walks among family members and has loving care towards his mates. Orpingtons in general are creatures of habit, They spend their days following in groups to socialize and to bring family bounds that bring them closer to each other, All members share food with one another to strengthen the family bonds. There is a simple set pattern in deciding who sleeps the closets to the main rooster and matriarch hen, Older hens and Daughters share a close relation to there young daughters and share a close warm embrace. Family bound is tightly close. It helps with raising young and bring valuable food for the younger generation. This family bond is passed down for many generations.

He is beautiful. I love this breed. My Huckleberry is a gorgeous boy also, much like Spencer. His girls are black Orpington. I haven't bred them yet as they are still young, though mature. They are very gentle, friendly birds. If I could choose only one breed to have, it would be Orpington.

Spangle/Mottle hen (Spangle hen), Cooper's daughter
On our farm we have we have been breeding several "Spangle" daughters to help increase the bloodlines of breeding many bloodlines that carry the blood of Spangle
hens and roosters that carry bloodlines of the European Spangles. These European style carry less then white and more black in speckled. Today many of the Spangles show more white pattern then black. European Spangles carry less white. Today in the USA we are seeing what is called the "Spangle/Mottle which carries a large amount of white against the black In Europe color. Today we are seeing a very gradual amount of change. We all consider such small changes and look forward to improve on every any generation changes. The Spangle/Mottle we see today is a combination of many individuals such as Mr. Thomas Hommel of Germany who has made it his life to create and improve such a outstanding examples of soupier example of the beautiful Spangle/Mottle we see today. We look forward for many, many generations to come to be proud what ones vision he has created.

Thank you...Thomas Hommel for you dedication to our special Orpingtons!

Last edited:

Here is a photo of Cooper. We have received several request to know how Cooper is doing. Cooper is doing great and enjoying his days as he is getting older with his favorite hens. Cooper is the foundation father for the Spangle/Mottles we see today. Marc

Genetics question for Mottled Orp breeders.

I've hatched several chicks from my flock that seem to be exhibiting recessive mottling, I'd like to get your opinion on if you agree?

So far I've only identified the potential in Black (& 1 Chocolate) chicks hatched. But I'm wondering if this is because it might be harder to see on some of the lighter/diluted colored birds?

My flock is mixed, my breeder birds are Blue, split to Chocolate, Black, Chocolate, and Mauve. None of them show any signs of mottling. My flock is also genetically diverse, being comprised of 3 main lines. My 3 lines are the product of varied flocks themselves though, both of American and Imported English origin.

The Chocolate cockerel in question. The only white visible on him is there on his wing tips.

Some pullets have solid black feet.

White in the wing feathers.

Many have varying degrees of faint mottling on their breasts.

Some have feet that almost appear to have the spotting/speckling/mottling that you see in Mottled Orps.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am trying to make a chocolate mottled orpington. Do I breed chocolate rooster to mottled hen, then breed back to hen?

I am trying to make a chocolate mottled orpington. Do I breed chocolate rooster to mottled hen, then breed back to hen?

@Hillbilly Mom no, you'll need to breed siblings together to hatch a Chocolate Mottled boy.

Choc male X Mottled female = Black male chicks, split to Choc & Mottled. & Choc female chicks, split to Mottled.

Breed these birds together. In their offspring, you'll produce pure Chocolate Mottled birds in both sexes.

Last edited:
Question on mottled lavender orphington
What would one breed to get those?
I have lavender orph trio and mottled orph trio. Would I just cross my solid lavender with my black and white mottled orphington? And because I have a trio of each which would be best? cross mottled roo to lavender hen? And then what would outcome be? All solids that I have to breed back to mottled again? Or? I'm studying but still a bit confused thanks

Back
Top Bottom