Moult or sick

AlexD98

Chirping
I've just got a new hen for my flock(lavender araucana), the previous owner said she's just started to moult...
I've got home and upon further inspection ( hope this makes sense) the strands coming out of the feather root/ centre thing are very short ( on her back) also she has quite watery poop.

Could that be from the stress in moving home or is that part of moult?

Also I'm new to chicken keeping and have not experienced moult yet

Attachments

• received_3220570268020032.jpeg
    received_3220570268020032.jpeg
    873.3 KB · Views: 20
Do you know how old she is, or is supposed to be?
Check her over thoroughly, this will help hopefully with identifying lice/mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Also look for any pinfeathers coming in on her anywhere, if you find pinfeathers then likely she is molting. Look around the head/neck, under wings, around the tail and vent.
There are some pictures here of some birds going through molt, and what pinfeathers look like. Some birds will molt very gradually and it can be almost unnoticable (soft molt), others may blow a bunch of feathers at once and have big bald spots (hard molt), or anything in between. I can't see any pinfeathers in the picture you posted. Kind of just looks like worn, old feathers that are due to be replaced at molt.
https://www.wideopenpets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-molting-chickens/

11 months is young for molt. Usually they have their first adult molt once they turn about 18 months old, but it's not unheard of for it to sometimes happen earlier. If it comes earlier it may be a very light, or partial molt. It may be some feather picking, or just dirty feathers if she was kept in conditions that were crowded or otherwise less than optimal.
Hopefully you have her quarantined, so as not to expose your birds to anything she might bring in with her? 30 days is a good amount of time to make sure she's healthy. I would watch for any signs of coccidiosis since bringing new birds in can bring in new strains, and your soil could have strains she is not previously exposed to.

Back
Top Bottom