MOULTING-FETHER PICKIN BUTT!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by echix, Sep 13, 2007.

1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    HELP! Several of mine are still moulting (south texas) and they have dropped their tail feathers so they have nubs..... little stumps of feathers coming out but the others are picking at them... leaving bloody stumps that will not grow back fast enough for them to pick them again and vicious cycle continues..... YIKES!!! :eek:

I tried aprons, but they do not cover the tail nub of a chicken.... blue kote only covers it for one day...

help!!! help help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    while molting (which is very hard on your birds system) it would be a good idea to give them a good nutritional supplement...one of the few complete ones I know is Avia Charge 2000 (you can order at McMurry or Strombergs)...
    Offer live culture yogurt free choice (in addition to the probiotic reason for giving this , it is also very nutritional)
    add some sunflower hearts to their feed and if you can give some (farmed) mealworms for extra protein (buy at baitstore or order from wormman.com)

3. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    I give them extra protein... dry cat food and their layer pellets is upped in protein too.... They're super healthy birds.....

But Geezzz!! I just keep spraying them with BLU-KOTE on their but.... but in 2 days... they are picking at it again! Blood everywhere on their tail....

I think it's these two or three hens doing it --- maybe I'll remove them!! Out of 24 hens... why are they picking on these 2 or so just because their tail feathers fell out and they have an obvious nub - they didnn't pick on the others..... GRRRRRRRRR!

What the )@#(*$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Wow, sounds like a pain!!

Do you have just a few pickers, or is everyone picking on these ladies? If just a few, I'd seperate THEM! That'd give a chance for the feathers to grow back, and maybe teach your bullies a lesson.

If it's everyone, I agree with you. Not much choice except to remove the poor harassed girls.

And I've heard Cat food is great for the extra protein.

Hope it gets better soon!

Meghan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by