MOULTING-FETHER PICKIN BUTT!!

echix

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
TEXAS
HELP! Several of mine are still moulting (south texas) and they have dropped their tail feathers so they have nubs..... little stumps of feathers coming out but the others are picking at them... leaving bloody stumps that will not grow back fast enough for them to pick them again and vicious cycle continues..... YIKES!!! :eek:

I tried aprons, but they do not cover the tail nub of a chicken.... blue kote only covers it for one day...

help!!! help help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

while molting (which is very hard on your birds system) it would be a good idea to give them a good nutritional supplement...one of the few complete ones I know is Avia Charge 2000 (you can order at McMurry or Strombergs)...
Offer live culture yogurt free choice (in addition to the probiotic reason for giving this , it is also very nutritional)
add some sunflower hearts to their feed and if you can give some (farmed) mealworms for extra protein (buy at baitstore or order from wormman.com)

I give them extra protein... dry cat food and their layer pellets is upped in protein too.... They're super healthy birds.....

But Geezzz!! I just keep spraying them with BLU-KOTE on their but.... but in 2 days... they are picking at it again! Blood everywhere on their tail....

I think it's these two or three hens doing it --- maybe I'll remove them!! Out of 24 hens... why are they picking on these 2 or so just because their tail feathers fell out and they have an obvious nub - they didnn't pick on the others..... GRRRRRRRRR!

What the )@#(*$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like a pain!!

Do you have just a few pickers, or is everyone picking on these ladies? If just a few, I'd seperate THEM! That'd give a chance for the feathers to grow back, and maybe teach your bullies a lesson.

If it's everyone, I agree with you. Not much choice except to remove the poor harassed girls.

And I've heard Cat food is great for the extra protein.

Hope it gets better soon!

Meghan

Back
Top Bottom