Moulting or not?

Dwblake24

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
I am new to chickens, quick back story is I have 8 chickens, 5 red 3 black star. Recently as of today I have noticed that there are 3 of then that have their feathers pecked off the top of their back towards tail and also under chin on neck. They have been healthy and no problems until this. They were born in April 2013. Every once and a whole I have one that gets a little like these but not as bad nor as many. Any suggestions on what's going on and is it normal? Or do I need to do corrective measures. Thanks!

images
to BYC!

Sounds like molting to me. I doubt chickens would be pulling feathers out of the chins of other chickens. This is molting season for most adult birds. Are you seeing a lot of feathers laying around? If you are not noticing any aggression within the flock, then it is probably molting.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Thanks for the welcome, I actually have been coming here since I first got my chicks at a week old but never have joined. I wasn't sure about neck either with each other picking at them. I have not noticed any aggression lately but did see one peck at the area only once real quick on the back of another's back. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! How are they laying? You don't have a rooster? They are young to be doing a serious molt, but it is possible, do you see pin feathers anywhere on them?. You could have one or more feather pluckers, some chickens will eat the feathers off of chins, especially while on the roost (see it fairly often with bearded breeds, but some will do it to clean faced birds also).

Hello Kelsie2290. No I don't have any roosters. I they have been normal laying so far. I had to look up pin feathers but no I have not. I have noticed the end of the feathers still be on them, the hard part, again I'm new don't know terms yet, and it's like bald spots no feathers coming in. Again I notice one every once and a while but today I saw like 3 of them and it got me concerned. Thanks for any help!

It sounds as if you have a feather plucker in the flock. Very likely the most pristine looking bird is plucking/eating feathers. This habit worsens when or if birds are cooped up because of bad weather.

Sometimes birds peck out/eat feathers due to a nutritional deficiency - adding more protein to their diet might help. They can also do that from boredom - especially if they are staying in the coop because of bad weather. Something to keep them busy might help - like a flock block, or a head of cabbage hung up just high enough so they have to jump up to get a nibble of it. That should take their mind off of plucking.

Back
Top Bottom