Mountain Lion in Southern Indiana

amlee1234

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2019
Southern Indiana
Typically we would only be worried about your typical predators (foxes, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, possibly bobcats, etc..) however, a handful of people have claimed to have seen a mountain lion in my town. We are not familiar with how to deal with these. Would an electric line around the run be sufficient to protect against mt lions?

Typically we would only be worried about your typical predators (foxes, raccoons, coyotes, dogs, possibly bobcats, etc..) however, a handful of people have claimed to have seen a mountain lion in my town. We are not familiar with how to deal with these. Would an electric line around the run be sufficient to protect against mt lions?

The only confirmed mountain lion reports were in fall 2009 in southern Clay County and spring 2010 in northern Greene County where I live. I work for the DNR as a wildlife biologist here. You have nothing to worry about.

The only confirmed mountain lion reports were in fall 2009 in southern Clay County and spring 2010 in northern Greene County where I live. I work for the DNR as a wildlife biologist here. You have nothing to worry about.
Well that makes me feel a lot better! I was hoping it was a lot of people’s imaginations running wild.

I wouldn’t be too concerned, mountain lions are pretty secretive and typicaly avoid people... that is if there actually is one... if there is then there is a pretty good chance these days it’ll end up one some trail camera...

Having said that, here the sightings started in the 80s and the state biologists were about 10 years behind before realizing that these sitings were in earnest... it largely took trail cameras ( undeniable proof) to get them to recognize what farmers and hunters and school bus drivers and rural mail carriers were telling them was true...these days everyone knows they’re here from time to time, but the official line is that they don’t breed in the state :idunno ... so maybe it’s just starting in Indiana... or as mentioned it could be a mistaken ID or hoax...in any case it’s very unlikely that it’d be after your chickens.

Missouri’s timeline just for general interest
https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-...-lion-reports/confirmed-mountain-lion-reports

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom