Mountain lion...IN THE COOP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad your family is safe. You called the authorities and did as directed. They euthanized, not you - it was a professional judgement they made for the safety of the public. Next time it could have been a person that was attacked. That the lion had no fear of people enough to approach and kill chickens inside the coop so close to people shows that it was already a danger to people.
I agree that you did the right thing. (I think you would be right to blast him with buckshot, but that's just me.)
I wouldn't worry about people who threaten you for wanting to defend yourself by calling the authorities. They wouldn't say "Boo to a goose". It's easy to make threats on a keyboard.

I'm wondering if I should feel bad about this mountain lion I guess. But mostly I wanted to share the story.
If it's on your property, threatening you and yours... There's kind of only one answer here, imo.
I even like cats. I've had mountain lions on my property (that I didn't kill, but it was just passing through).
Either you're responsible for the things you have (including the lives you keep) or you're not. It is your choice, but it's also an exclusive one. You either have predators taking your flock, or you protect them.
Idiots on Facebook are going to idiot. Ignore them.
Yes, I have felt bad because I needed to kill something on my property. I also like dogs, and my neighbor's decided to come charging at my kid. (This was an inevitable conclusion after about a year of telling the neighbor his 100 lbs dogs needed to stay of my property and not chase me or my kid/dogs/cats/you get the idea). Tbf, I don't get Facebook death threats (I would have have fb). The neighbor just asked if he needed to repay me for livestock. It's sad, but it's kind of how it goes.
If the authorities killed it instead of releasing it, even they knew it was going to come back.

What exactly do you want us to do? Validation of some sort? Report the 'death threats' to the police, that's what they're for.
I would not have bothered to call 911, but I'm glad the lion was delt with and no longer a threat.
be thankful it was just a chicken and not a child or a pet.
Sometimes it's hard to do the right thing. Asking a group for the answer on if they should have done the right thing is kind of typical. Tbf, he's stacking the deck in his favor, asking the chicken forum.... Lol
But hey, we can encourage people doing the right thing, this way.

So when it broke the local news the street was posted that the lion was caught on not my brother's address. But the city is small enough and people talk that pretty soon everyone knew it was my brother. A thread on Facebook became pretty popular and people were posting veiled threats about " what should be done to the guy that can't keep his chickens safe" then people started saying "I know the house that it happend at" any ways the coop had the door open for a few hours a day to let the chickens into a fenced area. The lion just jumped the fence. The chicken that made it out got so scared the jumped out. Nugget didn't make it and the lion ate her in the coop I caught it while it was feeding. Nugget was actually still alive. But sadly not for long.

So when it broke the local news the street was posted that the lion was caught on not my brother's address. But the city is small enough and people talk that pretty soon everyone knew it was my brother. A thread on Facebook became pretty popular and people were posting veiled threats about " what should be done to the guy that can't keep his chickens safe" then people started saying "I know the house that it happend at" any ways the coop had the door open for a few hours a day to let the chickens into a fenced area. The lion just jumped the fence. The chicken that made it out got so scared the jumped out. Nugget didn't make it and the lion ate her in the coop I caught it while it was feeding. Nugget was actually still alive. But sadly not for long.
:hugs
I know how much social media can affect you, hate comments like that can we really hurtful, and I can imagine it's pretty scary with people knowing your location....

But you did nothing wrong. These people who are crying about this one lion being euthanized BY PROFESSIONALS, are probably out eating factory farmed meat, wearing fur, on a daily basis. They're more than likely hypocrites. The worst kind. Not only do they not live by their own standards, I'll bet, but they are putting an animals life above a humans and above people's animals. Its outrageous.

Report the comments, and if you feel you are in danger, don't hesitate to contact the police.
I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this, and I'm sorry you lost Nugget :hugs

I mean, if you're actually scared, call the cops. If you're not actually scared, and just tired of the stupid, you can engage with it.... I wouldn't suggest that course. It will not work out well, because arguing with the internet never works out well.
Otoh, "check my local self defense laws" is a phrase that exists.
Hopefully that doesn't get me banned from the forum.
(I don't encourage actually talking to these people, but I have had the threat of the mob leveled at me. I found comfort in the ability to protect myself. Maybe the poster will too)

:hugs
I know how much social media can affect you, hate comments like that can we really hurtful, and I can imagine it's pretty scary with people knowing your location....

But you did nothing wrong. These people who are crying about this one lion being euthanized BY PROFESSIONALS, are probably out eating factory farmed meat, wearing fur, on a daily basis. They're more than likely hypocrites. The worst kind. Not only do they not live by their own standards, I'll bet, but they are putting an animals life above a humans and above people's animals. Its outrageous.

Report the comments, and if you feel you are in danger, don't hesitate to contact the police.
I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this, and I'm sorry you lost Nugget :hugs
We are all hypocrites. We all judge each other- saying we dont, the biggest hypocrites.
So, it is what it is... and this too shall pass. Maybe time to turn off the devices. Always nice to take a break.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom