1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mountain quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jearl, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jearl

jearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    I am looking for couple sources so I can get unrelated birds, but I have a couple questions regarding mountain quail.

1.I was wondering if anyone on this board raises mountain quail and if so, do you sell eggs?
    2. When do mountain quail start laying eggs?
    3. Has anyone kept a light on their mountain quail like many do with bobs and coturnx and got eggs mid winter?

Jeff

2. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    1) I raise a few of them only for a hobby, so I don't sell them or their eggs. I only have females and so this year will be a male-less year. Within a few months, check ebay. People sell eggs there.

2) Under normal conditions, they start laying in April (mines start laying on April 1st plus/minus a week). If you live in an area where it doesn't get warmer until later (like up north or in the mountains), then the birds may postpone until later in the season.

3) No, I don't use lights. I prefer them to lay naturally in accordance with the seasons.

3. jearl

jearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Hmmmm,
    Thanks for the info.
    Anybody out there ever raise mountain quail under lights?

Jeff

4. jearl

jearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Anybody have mt eggs in summer? How about anybody raise Black Throated Bobwhite? Crested Bobwhites? Barred quail? Elegants? Mearns?

5. QuailCo Eggs

QuailCo Eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Hooper, UT
    I agree with this. I have a friend in Utah (I live in Utah as well) that I think has like 20 Mountains that should strart laying roughly at the end of the month of april. We may partner up and I may sell his mountain eggs from my website, haven't decided yet.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by