Mouse in coop?

mrpekinduck

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Ducky Land!
Hi, I have recently been having a problem with mice getting into my duck coop. They dont eat the feed as I've checked and for some reason they don't. I put down sand today but will it keep them out? Also besides the disease concern is this a problem?

sounds like you need to get a cat perhaps? or maybe put a chickenin there for a few days if your ducks do not mind . my chickens are just as good of mousers as my cat is i think.

Last edited:
Yessir...

Chrisarvor is right...
I've seen those little field mice squeeze in thru the felt seal on the sliding glass door. Its hard to slip a credit card thru there but a mouse can get in. They breed like...fast!

1 turns into 8 that turns into 100 and so on...

Glue traps that can be placed so the ducks don;t get 'em stuck to feathers and feet, and seal up any holes you can find. For holes / access points that you can;t get to....use the expanding foam sealant with a straw to stick in there and fill with the foam. It turns to cement and will block the little beggers out.

I'd try and find the Source of their entry.. they will make a big old mess.. chew holes like you wouldn't believe.. i don't have any in my barn but my Muscovy would make fast work of them, a wild rabbit tried to sneak in the pen and they went for it! plus my barn cats are all around the duck barn .. chasing down anything of that sort anyways...

Hardware cloth under the sand perhaps. Will keep them from getting in. I have a neighbor's outdoor cat that takes care of those issues for me. Got rid of the voles and then the mice.

Just discovered a mouse in the run tonight. So gross. Tried to kill it but it went up over the hardware cloth I had about 30 inches high and then through the chicken wire. Set a trap but I am thinking of getting one of those boxed traps that are safe for other animals. Now I will be creaped out whenever I go in there. I wish our cat would have seen it. He is usually a very good mouser. At what age will the chickens take care of the mice. They are only a couple of months old and seemed scared of it.

Back
Top Bottom