Mouse proofing converted dog run

Candacestlouis

Songster
Jan 1, 2021
Aberdeen, WA
So I bought a chain link dog run that I want to use to put my coop in. We have recently had some problems with mice and I’m curious if it’s best to put hardware cloth over all of the chain link? Also, does anyone have any ideas for the gaps around the entry door that would stop mice from getting in? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

1/2" hardware cloth, or if the mice are tiny, you may need down to 1/4" HWC. You'll also need to apron it out to prevent them from slipping under the fence line.

Post photos of your entry door to see what can be done to block up the gaps. For mine, I overlapped HWC on the fence and HWC on the door so when the door is shut the layers of wire sandwich over each other, which should be sufficient against small rodents.

Sorry not a great photo, but you can see a little of the overlap behind the white wire.

gate.jpg

So it will be this kennel (just a bigger size). There is a gap around the bottom as well but I plan to attach 2x4s in there and then also cover with hardware cloth. At this point I have enough hardware cloth to wrap around my entire house twice lol BUT I want to make sure I’m doing it right and I’m not going to have any problems.

Attachments

• 9D1086DF-FDEE-45F3-9F98-8D24CE6A7871.png
    9D1086DF-FDEE-45F3-9F98-8D24CE6A7871.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
So what I did should work for yours too. Just keep in mind that if the door swings both ways by default, once the wire "sandwich" is installed it will only swing one way so be mindful of that when doing the install.

I've also seen folks use wood to help fill in some of those bigger gaps around the door but with wood prices right now, all wire might be the easier and cheaper option!

So what I did should work for yours too. Just keep in mind that if the door swings both ways by default, once the wire "sandwich" is installed it will only swing one way so be mindful of that when doing the install.

I've also seen folks use wood to help fill in some of those bigger gaps around the door but with wood prices right now, all wire might be the easier and cheaper option!
Thank you for your help ❤️

Back
Top Bottom