Mouth Breathing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abenardini, Oct 14, 2015.

1. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Hey Guys,

I know the most obvious reason for mouth breathing is usually upper respiratory issues.....but....background: Roopert, my Ameraucana rooster has been mouth breathing off and on when it's very hot outside.

Yesterday, it was cooler outside (maybe high 70s) and he still was intermittently mouth breathing. Other than this behavior for the past month, he has no other apparent issues.

He's somewhat thin, but I think that's probably expected since he's kind of a higher strung/more aware roo watching the skies for predators, all that jazz.

He is very active, doesn't have any problems with jumping over a four foot fence and then back to the other side all day. Anyone else have roosters that mouth breathe?

I've got antibiotics I *could* give him to possibly treat him for any secondary infection he might have, but I don't know if it's necessary. Thoughts?

2. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I should also say I've treated my flock in the past 3 weeks with Wazine dewormer, so I doubt it's gape worms.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can pant when they are stressed or been very active running around too...not just because of the heat.
    If he isn't showing any other symptoms of a possible respiratory illness, I wouldn't give anti biotics.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by