Mouth breating & expanded breast - Help!

msbien

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 29, 2008
Hello,

My little Seabright is having trouble breathing, and exhales through her mouth. She also has a very swollen breast. Could it be an impacted crop if it is not hard? Her breast is swollen, but it's soft. Would this impair her ability to breathe?

It was very cold here in Minnesota, and the others were picking on her so I put her in the house overnight. Last night I gave her a scrambled egg with olive oil and tried massaging her crop, but it just wasn't a hard mass that I thought would indicate an impaction. She ate the egg last night, then I took away all other food. This morning it seems just as large, and she doesn't have any interest in food this morning.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated! I don't know what to do for her, and she's such a little sweetie...

Thanks,
Stacie

Last edited:
I just noticed it yesterday, but it could have been going on longer. It's cold here and all my girls are laying low and staying in the coop most of the day or all day for some of them. They eat plain old crumble, but I did give them some sunflower seeds a few days ago. That's what scares me since she probably didn't have any grit to help things along.

Yes, thank you it may be sour crop. I appreciate knowing the correct term so that I can search it. I wasn't getting anything with what I was trying. I'll try some of the suggestions (ie. ACV and live yogurt). Going to the store now...

And yes, she is constantly mouth breathing. Does that make a difference, or still same diagnosis?

THANK YOU!

Well, I am no expert, but from what I have read and experienced mouth breathing can be an indicator of respiratory disease/distress, something caught in the throat or gapeworms. Chickens also pant when they are hot or in pain or stressed. She certainly might be stressed from her crop issue, so I would just keep an eye on it for now.

If you have a choice when it comes to ACV, I would suggest the Braggs brand. It has live cultures like the yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom