I'm sorry for your loss. The copper sulfate takes time to heal, canker doesnt go away overnight, it is a long term treatment because birds are carriers of the disease once diagnosed. In this instance, the lesions were turning black. I have no idea why they were turning black unless it wasnt canker and possibly some type of cancer.
Canker presents a foul odor in the mouth. If you didnt smell a foul odor, it wasnt canker.

Additionally, Gerta had mites. Mites suck blood (black or red mites), cause anemia, then death.
If I were you, I'd closely inspect your other birds for mites, especially around the vent area where it's warm and moist and treat accordingly. You will also have clean out the coop and nest boxes and treat them as well, same with new bedding after you dispose of the old bedding, including nest boxes.

Finally, you mentioned Mycoplasma in one of your old birds. Both Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS) are highly contagious to other birds.
Symptoms can vary from mild to extreme sickness. Both can be transmitted to other birds on your person, poultry waterers/feeders, your shoes, equipment etc...
You must maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out, no eggs to be sold or given away to be hatched because Mycoplasma can pass through eggs. Eggs are safe to eat.
Hello, thank you for your help. Her mouth definitely did smell, i’d have to wash my hands four times to get rid of it after checking her mouth. I didn’t realise it turning black was odd, I hope it wasn’t something else! There wasn’t really any info I could find on when a canker was getting better, so I just hoped the copper was doing the trick. I did do checks on the symptoms for similar diseases and none of them fit. i’d been treating her for four days by the time she passed with copper sulphate, but I underdosed the first day just to check all the girls would be fine with it.

I have inspected the other girls, luckily no mites. I did treat them and the coop along with Gerta when she was alive as soon as i discovered the mites, though, just to be safe. She definitely didnt have them when I first noticed the canker, so I believe maybe she wasn’t dust bathing and that’s what attracted them? She really did look much better the first few days of the copper sulphate, then went downhill very fast :( and after checking the towels she was on the powder was working, mites were falling off her dead while she was alive. I just wish she’d lasted a little longer, agh!

the chicken with myctoplasma, Nemo, was very old. She was the one we took to the vet, and how we got our probiotics. The vet said that old chickens tend to get it and didn’t mention contagion, thank god none of the other girls got it! This was about a year ago, I think? Nemo did die, but much later after getting better and from old age. She was about 14 when we got her, according to her previous owner. No chickens have had her symptoms since, she was pretty noticeable when she did start getting sick. Thank you so much for your help, even though Gerta did die in the end we now have the tools to deal with canker should it pop up again (I hope not!)

Hello, thank you for your help. Her mouth definitely did smell, i’d have to wash my hands four times to get rid of it after checking her mouth. I didn’t realise it turning black was odd, I hope it wasn’t something else! There wasn’t really any info I could find on when a canker was getting better, so I just hoped the copper was doing the trick. I did do checks on the symptoms for similar diseases and none of them fit. i’d been treating her for four days by the time she passed with copper sulphate, but I underdosed the first day just to check all the girls would be fine with it.

I have inspected the other girls, luckily no mites. I did treat them and the coop along with Gerta when she was alive as soon as i discovered the mites, though, just to be safe. She definitely didnt have them when I first noticed the canker, so I believe maybe she wasn’t dust bathing and that’s what attracted them? She really did look much better the first few days of the copper sulphate, then went downhill very fast :( and after checking the towels she was on the powder was working, mites were falling off her dead while she was alive. I just wish she’d lasted a little longer, agh!

the chicken with myctoplasma, Nemo, was very old. She was the one we took to the vet, and how we got our probiotics. The vet said that old chickens tend to get it and didn’t mention contagion, thank god none of the other girls got it! This was about a year ago, I think? Nemo did die, but much later after getting better and from old age. She was about 14 when we got her, according to her previous owner. No chickens have had her symptoms since, she was pretty noticeable when she did start getting sick. Thank you so much for your help, even though Gerta did die in the end we now have the tools to deal with canker should it pop up again (I hope not!)
Likely ur Gerta died of anemia from the mites , already weak by the canker, RIP sweet girl , you were loved,

Back
Top Bottom