1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moved Chickens, now no eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coulter5, Oct 23, 2010.

1. coulter5

coulter5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Townsend, MA
    I moved my chickens a couple months ago.
    When they were in the old house, my 5 older hens were laying about 1 per day each.

After I moved them, one started to molt and another got broody. I am now down to 2 eggs per day. [​IMG]
    I have a light out there. We change their shavings about once a month. They always have food and water.

I have some new hens that I've raised since they were chicks. They are 6 months old.
    We got the occasional small egg, but that has since stopped.

What could I be doing wrong? What can I do to at least get my 1.5 year old hens laying again?

11 total hens. 5 are 1.5yrs old, and 6 are 6mo old.

Thanks

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    How long is it since you moved them?

it can taken 4-6 weeks for them to settle.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When ever I make any big change, it takes a toll on the egg laying

4. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    not sure where your located but the weather getting cooler could have an effect as well, just do your best to make them comfortable. not sure if theres any truth (good or bad) behind it but i remember reading on here that powdered hot pepper( i think cyanne) in the food will help jumpstart thier system again and they cant "taste" the heat. personally i prefer to let my chickens be chickens instead of trying to "make" them lay... there just seems like theres so much that go wrong forceing the chickens, same with the hybrid prodection breeds that start laying early, more chances of eggbound and internal layer and other whatnots.

5. coulter5

coulter5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Townsend, MA
    We moved them toward the end of August.
    We also introduced the younger hens at this time.
    It took a week or two for them to all start roosting together and establish a pecking order.
    Most of that seems to have been worked out now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by